Notary Rotary
UPS
Notary Discussion History

UPS
Go Back to January, 2011 Index

Posted by Linda Juenger on 1/13/11 9:27am
Msg #368373

UPS

We have 2 places in our town that UPS will pick up. Both of these stores now want to charge me for just dropping off a pkg. One wants $1 and the other $2 to just drop it off. Neither store generated the sale, so UPS is not responsible for it, so I am told. UPS charges them to pick it up. One of the places told me that he literally has to tell the driver to scan it in immediately, otherwise the driver just throws it on the truck and it gets scanned at their terminal. I am appalled by this and leaves lots of room for that pkg not to get delivered. I am very concerned about this.
Anyone else? Did their policy change recently?

Reply by SharonMN on 1/13/11 9:32am
Msg #368375

>>>>One of the places told me that he literally has to tell the driver to scan it in immediately, otherwise the driver just throws it on the truck and it gets scanned at their terminal.

I don't see the big deal. You dropped it as instructed - let UPS worry about the rest. If the title company doesn't like the service UPS is giving, they can ask you to use a different carrier. Sometimes we worry about more than we need to - we are NOT responsible for the whole chain of custody, only our part in it.

>>>>> Both of these stores now want to charge me for just dropping off a pkg. One wants $1 and the other $2 to just drop it off.

Do you have any drop boxes in your town? If not, I would just build the $1-2 fee into your fees (and remember to keep track and deduct the expense!)

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/13/11 11:25am
Msg #368437

Re: UPS Amen Sharon!

nm

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/13/11 9:32am
Msg #368376

Yep...There's a pack and ship store in my local city

I used to use them every now and then for closings on the 'west" side of town - I went in about 6 months ago - they said they no longer accept UPS packages because UPS was charging THEM....

I use the UPS Store or The Mailbox Store - if either one begins charging me then it will be strictly drop boxes, and I hate using them, but I'll let my hiring party know the package is going in a drop box and why.

Reply by A S Johnson on 1/13/11 10:53am
Msg #368422

Re: Yep...There's a pack and ship store in my local city

Currently, with UPS, all retail stores, including "The UPS Stores", are independently owned and operated. Only the customer service center at the terminals are UPS employees. The UPS Stores and indenpendents who dislplay the UPS "ASO/Authorized Shipping Outlet" signage have a contract with UPS that require them to accept drop offs with out any "drop off charge'. Needed packaging can have a charge.
Supplies at these UPS locatons, like FedEx, have limitations imposed by the carrier so when they tell you they do not have extra to supply you, they may be telling you the truth.
FedEx Office and FedEx Knikos are FedEx owned and are FedEx employees, others are like UPS, indenpendently owned. Some display "FASC/FedEx Authoriazed Shipping Center" signage. I have not had a contract with FexEx in 10 yrs so I can not speak of the current contract but the orgianl "FASC" contract was No charge for "drop offs". In my need for FedEx supplies, even at thier terminal, they contend they are limited in the supplies they can get from FedEx. No I will not establish a account with Fed Ex to get supplies.

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 1/13/11 11:48am
Msg #368445

Re: Yep...There's a pack and ship store in my local city

Most companies have FEDEX account numbers, you can tell them the problem and ask for the FEDEX acct number

Reply by HisHughness on 1/13/11 9:38am
Msg #368379

Can we suspend our newfound commitment to practice civil discourse so that we can thoroughly examine the various indignities available to inflict on UPS? They are a sorry, <sorry>, SORRY, <SORRY> outfit and the best example I know of to explain why American business is moving offshore. May lifelong constipation be the lot of every member of management at that miserable, wretched company.

Reply by upnorth/AK on 1/13/11 9:56am
Msg #368390

I agree. We have no drop boxes anywhere near where I do most of my signings, only UPS stores and they won't provide any UPS supplies as they say they don't make money if they don't generate the labels. The only other option is to go out to the airport hub office and they are so unfriendly and won't provide more than one or two shipping labels to fill out. I always hate it when I get a signing that uses UPS and the no preprinted label is supplied. Such a hassle.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/13/11 10:09am
Msg #368397

There are no drop boxes in my town. Closest one is about 8 miles away, which is really 16 miles. The nearest UPS store is about 15 miles, 30 round trip. I only do this for a Friday night closing and make the extra trip to drop it on Sat.

I'm going to start by calling the few companies that use UPS and telling them what is happening. Maybe they have a fed ex acct also.

UPS is def a pita to work with.

Reply by A S Johnson on 1/13/11 11:04am
Msg #368430

I must say this, FedEx can be as much a PIA as UPS.

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/13/11 11:24am
Msg #368436

Re: UPs

The owner of my local ups store receives $1.10 per package that I drop off.

So when I go in with 4 outgoing envelopes he cheerfully yells: $4.40!

Reply by Linda Snell on 1/13/11 11:29am
Msg #368438

My local UPS Store scans the label as soon as I hand it to him. I don't know what the driver does when he gets there. The store does not charge me for leaving packages. I have a UPS account (the pros and cons of that have been discussed in other posts) and I print labels and order supplies thru my account and the supplies are delivered for free to my front door. You can call UPS and request a pick up at your house. I suppose checking with the title company about that would be a good idea. I never have to do that since I have both UPS and FedEx drop boxes and stores near me. I also have a FedEx account for printing labels and ordering supplies.

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/13/11 12:13pm
Msg #368452

Re: UPS they want credit card number to schedule a pickup

$4 bucks a pop.

Reply by BestFlCloser on 1/13/11 1:24pm
Msg #368483

Get the receivers UPS account number & zip code

I have both a UPS and a FedEx account. When I schedule a p/u for UPS, I always charge the p/u to the recipient. They do ask for my account number in case the recipient doesn't pay. I have never had a problem with UPS and doing it this way. Just make sure that you get their UPS number and zip code. If you are billed inadvertently, call UPS and they will reverse the charge. There are no such problems with FedEx. It's much easier with your own accounts. You can generate labels, get delivery of supplies without a problem. I've been doing business with both carriers for years without any kind of issue.

Reply by Georgia Attorney Closings on 1/13/11 1:33pm
Msg #368487

Suggestion, when you create your shipping document, show the title co as the shipper and receiver, to invoice the receiver. you will never be billed. true, this company has problems, as they miss pickup boxes, then their drivers deny it.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 1/13/11 3:09pm
Msg #368508

People. Read my post again. I AM NOT being charged for

shipping the docs back. I AM however being charged just to leave the pkg at 2 stores in my town where UPS picks up the pkgs. BIG diff.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/13/11 9:07pm
Msg #368585

Re: People. Read my post again. I AM NOT being charged for

Linda, I understand what you are saying! I live in a rural area. In my area there is 1 drop box, one local store that you can drop packages off at..they started charging 1.00 last summer! I called UPS and they said it was ok that they do this. I will not pay them. I use the drop box. Or of course when Im the road I always look for UPS store etc.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 1/13/11 10:47pm
Msg #368594

From what my UPS employed son tells me (and we have had discussions of this type whenever I have to interact with a UPS store), UPS stores are in no way obligated to take your package for free. They are entirely within their right to charge a fee. Some stores are corporately owned, others may be franchises. Things like accepting packages and having waybills that they just give out eat into their profits. Yes, I said that correctly--accepting a package may eat into their profits. I guess I'm fortunate in that there are quite a few drop boxes in my area, as well as at least three stores within a short drive. But I also have taken to checking out the supplies in the drop boxes and getting my supply of waybills from the drop boxes; my local UPS stores no longer give these out.

My personal preference for overnight shipping? Even with son working at UPS, there is only so much help son can provide--or wants to--from his position as an inside sales person. But even having said that, I like to think I can get more help and have a little more leverage (if needed) from my Senior Manager husband who works for FedX. My vote is for the orange and purple, not brown.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.