Notary Rotary
A set of Docs for each signer????
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by enotary/va on 1/22/12 9:43am
Msg #409596

T.C. wants a set of docs printed for each person signing docs?????

I had 2 this past Thursday night in Fairfax. The first one was a $350,000.00 refi with a husband and wife. I printed one set to work with and one set for the BO,s. The second one was a $800,000.00 trust refi with husband and wife and wife signing for three kids by POA. Kids were off at collage. I printed one set to work with and one set for the BO,s Both signings went fine and with only one set of copies.

I will not print a set of docs for each person signing docs unless the TC wants to pay an extra $25.00 for each set over two.

Does anyone know why TC wants a set for the husband and a set for the wife?

Reply by HisHughness on 1/22/12 10:48am
Msg #409599

I charge $35 for a set of two copies of the docs, so $25 seems a bit much for each set beyond that. At half of $35, without even considering economies of scale, that's only $17.50 per set. I think for each set of docs over two I would charge somewhere between $12 and $15.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/22/12 5:41pm
Msg #409619

In answer to your question, who knows? You'd have to ask the TC. Because their lawyers suddenly told them that's a new RESPA interpretation - that each borrower must have their own set - like his 'n' her towels? Because the borrowers or their LO requested it? If they didn't pay you for printing a third copy it would be up to you whether to ask for more $$ or just let it go if they give you good business otherwise. But since you didn't print a third copy, it looks like a dead issue, anyway.

In situations like this, since you decided not to print, you could make a CD. They could just pop that in their computer and print as many copies as they want. I tend to do that when I get 50 pages of an appraisal with tons of ink-eating pictures. I put it on a CD. Printing an appraisal is not part of the deal ....

Reply by LynnNC on 1/23/12 12:20pm
Msg #409667

IMO you cannot decide to make a CD instead of printing docs when you are told to print docs, and in normal closings, paid to print 2. For extra sets of docs beyond 2, I would charge $15 each. A typical situation is when a parent is co-borrower with a child - I would print a set for each.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/23/12 2:08pm
Msg #409673

I agree, LynnNC. But since OP had already decided not to print a third set, and didn't, and since the TC didn't offer to pay extra and OP didn't ask for more $$, I figured a CD might be better than nothing ... esp. if all the kids at college wanted their own copy ....

Reply by Stamper_WI on 1/22/12 6:40pm
Msg #409621

Not sure why an extra copy for the husband/wife refi, but the trust makes sense. The kids are apparently trustees or future trustees of that trust. In otherwords joint owners or beneficiaries. They have a need and right to know what's going on.
I am a trustee of a trust but gave my brother POA to sign in my stead. So did my other brother when he was alive. he used it once and let me know ahead of time but the third party also made sure I got copies of what was going on.

Reply by Yowheelz on 1/23/12 2:32pm
Msg #409674

Had to sign affidavit that I gave each a copy

I did one of these receintly, When I got the instructions I called signing co. back and told them it would be extra for second copy and they readily agreed. Inside the package was an affidavit I had to sign that I had given each borrower a copy.

Borrowers (H&W) laughed when they each got a package. I suspect one went directly into a shredder.

Reply by Luckydog on 1/23/12 7:02pm
Msg #409692

Re: Had to sign affidavit that I gave each a copy

The answer is because they are too cheap to pay you extra or to send or print them a copy of the docs. Easier to let you use your paper and toner. This has never come up for me. If they want an extra copy, they can go to office depot and copy the one I provide for them at their expense. Occasionally when closing at a realtor's office, they request to have the signed package scanned. This way they can email it to the title co., lender or themselves. That's the best way, but only if they have a professional scanner that can do it quickly.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.