Notary Rotary
Borrower called when doc's arrived
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Buddy Young on 1/5/12 5:32pm
Msg #408299

The SS sent me a new assignment sheet with my additional $25 fee.

The wife was a manicurist and owned her own shop. The signing took place in her shop.

When customers came in she would stop and go do their nails, sometimes finger and sometimes toe.

I had the husband sign all the papers and when the wife was available, I just pointed and said sign here or initial here.

Took 2 1/2 hours and screwed up my whole day.

I think I'll start charging for wait time.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/5/12 5:37pm
Msg #408301

"I think I'll start charging for wait time."

As well you should, Buddy - that was totally out of line for her to do that and completely inconsiderate and disrespectful of your time.

Perhaps you should not only start charging for your wait time...but take CHARGE of your signings. 20-25 minutes in if she won't sit down and sign til done I pack my toys and go home - they can reschedule when it's convenient for them....AND I get paid for the time I've wasted (my no-sign fee)..

Sorry this happened to you - look how much time you lost at the course!!...Smile

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/5/12 6:22pm
Msg #408309

Re: "I think I'll start charging for wait time."

yea I didn't get to play golf today, because of 1 signing.

I was very patient, got a little uneasy tword the end.

They were Vietnamise, but I could understand them.

The husband also had a lot of questions and ended up making a total of 4 phone calls.

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 1/5/12 6:33pm
Msg #408313

I can't believe you put up with that.

I had a similar experience except I told them we either take the time to get this done by "X" o'clock or I can reschedule for this evening when they are not distracted by their business. Whatever they chose, I was leaving by "X" o'clock. They protested some, but I reminded them that I also had a schedule to keep and if I allowed this to continue, their issue will affect others in my day and I cannot allow that to happen. They fell into line and we got it done.

I guess if you had nothing else to do but wait, I guess waiting around like you did is ok. I believe in great customer service, but there are times when you need to take charge of the situation and not allow their problems to become your problems.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/5/12 10:10pm
Msg #408330

Re: "I think I'll start charging for wait time."

Sometimes you drive far enough that you just don't want to make a return trip and you are going to do that signing today no matter what.

Had one couple of weeks ago that paid well, not enough for the foolishness I endured, but I sure didn't want to return later. Spent 2.5 hours there while she questioned everything on the HUD, but couldn't get her questions in order so made several calls. I had no phone service there so I was almost at her mercy....she didn't want to make any long distance calls. After a 15 minute staring session she finally pulled out a cell phone - one of 3 different cell phones she has, each with a different carrier as they don't all work where she is. A real PITA.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/5/12 6:16pm
Msg #408308

I wonder how she'd feel if one of her nail appointments told her that they were going to have to stop periodically to make a few phone calls or take care of some other business and they expected her to sit there and wait while they did do. I suspect she'd tell them to come back when they have time to get their nail business taken care of in one sitting.

I think I might have suggested that maybe we should reschedule to a time when they are both available. For really clueless, disrespectful people, you could mention that you have other people expecting you and that they only pay you to go through everything once. If you have to go through the whole package twice - even if it is only to say "sign here" - that's like two appointments and can take twice as long. If they're really obtuse. you just tell them that that arrangement isn"t going to work and you try to come up with another solution.

Good luck charging for wait time. There are a rare few who might understand and be supportive but most won't.

At least that's what I've told people on a rare occasion. Sometimes it even works.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/5/12 9:38pm
Msg #408326

There is no way that I would have allowed this to happen! She was making money while you were waiting!! We have to take control and in this case I would have explained that I have other clients as well and if they didnt sign I would have to leave..How rude some people can be!

Reply by Calnotary on 1/5/12 11:01pm
Msg #408340

I few weeks ago a borrower got in to the table to sign docs and also to put stamps in a pile of envelopes for Christmas. She said would you mind if I do put the stamps while we do the loan docs.

I told her that I don't mind but I needed her attention at 100% and that will keep her distracted.

OF COURSE I DO MIND!! I didn't tell her that, but I don't let my signers do anything else but signing.
One time I told one couple to please turn off the TV, no body was watching and I wanted their full attention, WE ARE SIGNING A HALF MILLION DOLLAR LOAN HERE!

Reply by CJ on 1/6/12 1:23pm
Msg #408380

I don't even like it when people put their pens down between signatures. They sign, but their pen down, and then lean back in the chair and fold there arms after every signature. After a few pages like that, I hand them their pen back and nicely say, "You might want to hang on to this: we have to put a signature on ever one of these 100 pages."

I agree about the lady doing nails. You had an APPOINTMENT with her and she should have blocked out her time for you, just like she would for any of her other clients.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.