Notary Rotary
Business License
Notary Discussion History

Business License
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Tara Gomez on 1/3/12 2:33pm
Msg #408131

Business License

Hi all. I am not sure if there is a thread about this somewhere.. but I was wondering if any of you have a business license? I hear conflicting things on weather we need one or not. ANy input would be great.
Thanks so much
Tara

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/3/12 2:42pm
Msg #408133

area-specific requirement. I don't. Some do. n/m

Reply by Eve/VA on 1/3/12 2:43pm
Msg #408134

I'm on the fence about it. In a previous business, I had a license. I would be curious to see what others say as well.

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/3/12 3:14pm
Msg #408139

Re: I don't have one. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 1/3/12 3:51pm
Msg #408141

If you use the orange search button you can pull

up previous discussions.
Yes, I have a business license. It's really about paying taxes, like anything else.
I chose to set up a legit business, believing it would add a level of credibility to this biz.
I file a Schedule C for business income/expenses so I'd rather be legal all the way around.
I know many who don't do any of that, however.

Reply by John Tennant on 1/3/12 5:06pm
Msg #408144

San Diego requires one, however, they do not enforce it unless they get a complaint from someone. I have had one for years because I am also an IRS Enrolled Agent and want to stay within the law. To each his own.

Reply by JAM/CA on 1/3/12 8:31pm
Msg #408157

I also have a business license for the City of San Jose, CA. I do make money above and beyond notarizations doing loan signings.

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 1/3/12 10:07pm
Msg #408166

I have a business license. I wanted to differentiate myself in a competetive market, and keep it all legit.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/4/12 1:16am
Msg #408168

My city doesn't require one, but as someone else said, this will vary a great deal geographically. Best to check with both your city and county to find out if one is required in your area.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/4/12 10:22am
Msg #408178

A business license is not required in my county, but they DO require you to register as a business so they can tax you. They receive copies of your Schedule C from the IRS, so even if you don't register they will catch up to you eventually. My county spells out the requirements on its "starting a business" webpage.

Reply by Eileen McRorey on 1/4/12 11:14am
Msg #408184

In Hawaii we get a business license from the state with a tax i.d. number and then have to pay the GET (General Excise Tax) of 4.5% (on Oahu) on the gross amount (no deductions) collected. I pay this semi-annually and also have to submit a yearly tax reconciliation form for taxes paid during the year. All businesses are supposed to have this license.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.