Notary Rotary
First Centennial Title
Notary Discussion History

First Centennial Title
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 1/3/12 12:40pm
Msg #408118

First Centennial Title

I just received the documents for a purchase signing. Included in the documents was the statement : First Centennial Title Company of Nevada is hereby authorized and instructed to make any necessary corrections/revisions to the notary public acknowledgement/jurat in the event the notary information has been completed incorrectly. No further authorization and/or instruction shall be required other than this completed form.
This document is to be signed by the notary and stamped with the notary seal.

I haven't seen this before. Please give me your advice

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/3/12 1:04pm
Msg #408123

Wouldn't fly in CA - besides the fact that you'd be notarizing your own signature.

I suspect that they want to be able to correct venues, dates, misspellings etc. - which certainly would speed things up - but, like I said, in CA this wouldn't fly because I don't believe CA notary code gives anybody besides the notary the right to make corrections/revisions to acks/jurats, and I, as a notary, certainly can't give anybody else that power. It's interesting they ask for "permission." Additionally, CA law forbids the willy-nilly use of a notary stamp, which this clearly is. It can be used only when notarizing somebody' else's signature. If this were me, I'd call the hiring agency and say I couldn't/wouldn't sign it and ask if they want me to proceed with the purchase signing.

Reply by pat/WA on 1/3/12 1:12pm
Msg #408124

forgot to mention. On this same form they are requesting a copy of the notary journal page with the borrowers signature.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/3/12 1:20pm
Msg #408126

Well, this is another state specific thing. CA code sets out what requesting parties need to do to get a copy of anything in a notary journal. Does WA?

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/3/12 1:21pm
Msg #408127

P.S. What about states that don't require journals? n/m

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/3/12 1:32pm
Msg #408128

way overreaching and just wrong on so many levels n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 1/3/12 2:04pm
Msg #408130

The certification is the notary's turf, and only the notary's turf. Not only that: It is solely the turf of the notary who witnessed the signing; even another notary cannot mess with his/her certification. So go ahead with the signing. When you return the packet, attach a note to the form saying you are not signing anything that gives anybody the right to do something illegal in your name. In the law, that's called "conspiracy."

Texas journals are public records, open to anyone. I would, in the return packet, tell them I would be happy to provide a page from my journal upon receipt of the appropriate fee for journal reproductions.

If your state restricts access to journals, as most do, tell them the journal is the notary's record, not a part of a closing packet, and you will supply anything in it when they have met the legal requirements for obtaining such information, and paid the appropriate fee. That is a separate transaction from the signing you were hired to do, and is compensated separately.

Reply by Calnotary on 1/3/12 2:46pm
Msg #408136

Excellent response Hugh!!

And coming from an attorney, even better.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 1/3/12 3:05pm
Msg #408137

Agreed! n/m

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/3/12 3:14pm
Msg #408138

Re: Hugh, you're my hero, well said!!!!!!

I might also email the SS before I complete the signing and tell them you are not going to sign that statement and ask them if they want you to go ahead with the signing.

Reply by NMS/FL on 1/3/12 8:38pm
Msg #408158

Wouldn't fly in FL (no journal requirements) on many levels. "Signing and stamping" is not a legal notarial act.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/3/12 8:48pm
Msg #408159

Why woud you give them your signature and your seal? You cannot notarize your own sigature.It would be like giving them the keys to your car..go ahead and do what you want! No way would I honor that request..As far as the journal goes that is also your domain..each state has their statues on that..I would not give them that either!

Reply by pan/nd on 1/3/12 9:13pm
Msg #408162

If they persist in this highly unethical, illegal and profoundly uneducated tack..

they'll have to change their name to " Last Decade Title"

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/4/12 1:37am
Msg #408170

I have seen this kind of form (but I don't remember from whom). I called the title co right away. In my head, I was thinking that they could put this request where the sun don't shine and I'll sign that when he!! freezes over. Out loud, I advised that in my state it would be illegal for me to complete that form for a variety of reasons. I didn't have to say any more, as the person backed down right away. I got the impression that they're used to getting refusals.

It occurred to me that it could be a test... Those who don't know any better and complete it anyway are probably the ones they'd need to be correcting, and the ones who protest are less likely to be making mistakes on their certificates. Who knows? Doesn't make it right, though.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/4/12 10:25am
Msg #408179

Wouldn't fly in Oregon. Cannot use our stamp for anything

other than a Notarial Act. Period.

As to the changes, no entity is authorized by anyone to "make any necessary corrections/revisions to the" ack/jurat of any Notary.

This sounds like someone's idea of an end-run around long established rules and responsibilities of the Notaries Public in ~every~ state.

I can't give you any advice - you are your own guardian of your commission - but I can say that I wouldn't pet that dog.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.