Notary Rotary
I need to re-ink my seal
Notary Discussion History

I need to re-ink my seal
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by ikando on 1/18/12 3:27pm
Msg #409375

I need to re-ink my seal

but I'm not sure what I need or how to do it. Anyone have experience/suggestions?

Reply by ct on 1/18/12 3:32pm
Msg #409376

less is more..don't add to much ink..can be quite a mess if you do..

Reply by Eva75Eva on 1/18/12 3:36pm
Msg #409377

I use 2000 PLUS brand refill ink from Office Depot. It comes

in a 0.9 oz bottle with its own applicator. Easy to use-not messy. I agree with ct-don't overdo it and it will work just fine. The bottle will probably last me forever!

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 1/18/12 4:07pm
Msg #409380

I use MaxLight - Just a drop or two.

Reply by BrotherOwner on 1/18/12 4:40pm
Msg #409384

Re: OK, I'll say it

The various stamp manufacturers have different "recipies" for their ink and refill ink. Some do not work properly in another bramd stamp, or so I'm told. For instance, I woulndn't put Maxlite ink in an Ideal stamp. As for instructions, look for brand on your stamp and go to their website for instructions. Mightr be a messy job. Might want to wear throw away glove, or like me, you'll look like you've been fingerprinted for days!

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/18/12 4:55pm
Msg #409387

BrotherOwner right. Right ink for your stamp

or very bad things can happen.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/18/12 4:56pm
Msg #409388

Re: OK, I'll say it..You speak w/a voice of experience?! LOL n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/18/12 5:03pm
Msg #409389

Thanks for saving me the effort. ;>)

My current stamp is getting near the end of it's useful life (5 more months to go) and I have to re-ink it pretty often. I don't think it's that big of a deal. I just spread out a paper towel or newspaper to work on, just in case.

Carefully holding the ink pad by the edges, I just apply the ink starting at one end and go up and down in rows across the short width of the stamp. I let that absorb and if it looks like it can take more, I add a little more. The ink for my stamp is pretty thick and may take a few minutes to get absorbed in. (It's easier to add more, if necessary, than to deal with an overfill, so don't go overboard, but you'll get the hang of it easily enough.) I usually just wipe off the edges of the stamp holder with a tissue when it looks good, and that's all there is to it.

Like I said, no big deal - unless different inks and stamps work differently - but I can't imagine it being too different. As for the ink, I bought it from the same source where I bought my stamp, to be on the safe side.

One last thought... Make sure you screw the cap back on the bottle tightly! Wink I had the cap come loose on an ink bottle once inside my notary case. Thankfully, I had kept it inside a double layer of zip up plastic bags or it would have been all over the place - including my journal! I shudder to think... As it was, there was just a little bit of mess to clean up, but I ended up tossing the baggies with the bottle inside and had to go buy a new one.

Reply by TacomaBoy on 1/18/12 6:20pm
Msg #409400

Old School Manual Seals

I've used old fashioned rubber manual seals for years. (10,000 signing jobs). I use "Ideal Stamp ink" to re-ink my pads; it works great! Only a little bit of evenly disbursed ink works well. I feel a manual rubber stamp gives a crisp impression which is less likely to be out of focus when stamped. Careful! I found that "gel ink pads" (100,000 impressions) cannot be used because the ink does not dry quickly; it tends to smear. Gel Ink seems to just sit on top of the paper.

Reply by ikando on 1/18/12 5:57pm
Msg #409397

Re: OK, I'll say it

Thanks everyone. I've checked and it's a Trodat 4913 which has a "cartridge". I guess I need to replace the cartridge?

This is the first time I've had to consider this as they usually last me until my commission expires and I get a new one then. I've got til September 2013, so need to be sure my impressions are readable til then.

If anyone has experience with this brand/model stamp, please let me know if I should replace the cartridge, or if I can re-ink it. The Trodat website doesn't mention re-inking as an option.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/18/12 6:38pm
Msg #409404

That Trodat stamp is easy to re-ink. I got mine here at NR

& they sell the ink. If you kept the instructions with your stamp, you will see that the "cartridge" slides out, you re-ink it, and slide it back in. I love this stamp & how easy it is to re-ink. BTW, I also originally thought I had to get a new cartridge. Good luck. :-)

Reply by NJDiva on 1/19/12 8:19am
Msg #409436

Not sure if everyone knows but rubbing alcohol will

remove excess ink. So even though it can be messy, if you have to get some on your hands or if it leaks a little, you should be able to just wipe it up with an alcohol swab.

Reply by NJDiva on 1/19/12 9:20am
Msg #409439

And that even goes for "permanent marker" ink n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 1/19/12 9:39am
Msg #409440

My mother's favorote solution?

Go do dishes.

IF your arm is sore - go iron.

And so her advice for what ails you continues.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.