Notary Rotary
I've spent most of my adult life...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 1/16/12 9:03am
Msg #409132

...and many of my younger years, focusing on words: Their meanings, their spellings, their origins, their emotional impact, how they fit together, how to use them properly. Because of that, sometimes I have a lamentable tendency to judge the inherent worth of others by the words they use and how they use them. It is a form of snobbery that is unbecoming and says more about the person who employs it than it does about the target.

Martin Luther King said it well:
"Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verbs agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love.”

So, today, on MLK Day, let me extend my apologies to anyone on this forum that I have used my passion for words to offend. There have been, I fear, far too many. I will try to do better. And for those who chose to overlook my transgressions, and accord me the respect that I denied you, thank you for your generosity of spirit.

Reply by Eve/VA on 1/16/12 9:20am
Msg #409137

Thought provoking

Very nice and food for thought for all of us to maybe hesitate before pushing "post." Thank you.

Remember Desiderata (written by Max Ehrlmann-sp?) that became so popular during the 1970s? Here are the first few lines I try to live by (but usually fail miserably):

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

Reply by 101livescan on 1/16/12 9:27am
Msg #409138

Ahh! Well said. There are many wonderful and thought-provoking quotations out there.

I've always liked, and have framed in my bathroom....

Watch your thoughts; they become your words. Watch your words; they become your actions. Watch your actions; they become your habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character for it will become your destiny. If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?

Hillel

Reply by MW/VA on 1/16/12 3:39pm
Msg #409169

I just saw the movie "The Iron Lady" & apparently

Margaret Thatcher had been taught that same thing by her father & she lived it.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/16/12 11:19am
Msg #409144

Hugh, that grace of which Karla spoke shines through

once again. And as one who shares your love of language and its myriad power in civilizations throughtout the ages, its magic and purpose in mind and heart and the body politic, I bow to the master in love and appreciation.

It snowed, and the white shoreline is quite the rare and fantastic landscape.

Reply by MW/VA on 1/16/12 3:40pm
Msg #409170

Thanks for the MLK quote. I think we can all heed those

words. We've been taught that words have power--and they do, the power to hurt or the power to heal.

Reply by LMN on 1/16/12 3:57pm
Msg #409173

What a nice post!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/16/12 4:36pm
Msg #409183

One of the best threads I've read on this forum. Tks to all!

And how timely on MLK Day!!

This reminds me of a little book I started reading just yesterday. It's another one of those little treasures that communicates some great teachings via a parable or tale about a person facing a challenge. It's called "The Go-Giver" by Bob Burg and John David Mann. Normally, I would have continued on to finish the story (because its pretty short), but the character is challenged to immediately put into practice what he has learned, so I'm going to take the challenge myself and read through only one lesson per day.

Already I can tell that this little book will have a big impact and I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone who wants to increase their success - at whatever goal they're trying to achieve.

Many thanks, Hugh, for your post and for starting this wonderful thread!

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/16/12 5:22pm
Msg #409193

What a great post, Hugh.

Hugh, through his posts, has encouraged me to enhance my vocabulary.

Will Rogers once said" when people used to beat the ground with sticks, they called it witchcraft, now they call if golf".

I hope you don't mind a little humor to go along with such a great thread.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.