Notary Rotary
New to Notary
Notary Discussion History

New to Notary
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Brian Gruss on 1/18/12 11:18am
Msg #409338

New to Notary

I am in the process of doing my first signing (in a couple hours), sure wished I would have searched to find this site first, or I wouldn't be doing work for this company, oh well live and learn. Quick question though, the signing is mere hours away, and I am still waiting for loan docs to be emailed. Is this indicative of the system, or is it the signing company?

When I was a LO a few years back, I always had the docs at least a day before the signing if not a couple days before.

Reply by FlaNotary2 on 1/18/12 11:26am
Msg #409341

(sigh) n/m

Reply by Jim/AL on 1/18/12 11:29am
Msg #409343

Late docs is part of the NSA biz.

It could be the ss, it could be the TC or it could be the lender. Way too many reasons that the docs could be late. Call the ss and give them a deadline or drop dead time that u need docs by.

If u want out of the assignment because of who u are working for, this could be your out!

Reply by Brian Gruss on 1/18/12 11:31am
Msg #409344

Re: Late docs is part of the NSA biz.

Thanks Jim, that is what I was thinking. I have left a msg for the SS but no word back yet.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 1/18/12 11:37am
Msg #409346

Unfortunately, this happens often.

SS will blame TC. TC will blame lender. So on and so forth.

Contact your hiring party and let them know what your "drop dead" time is in order to make the appointment on time. If that's not going to happen, give them options:

1. change appointment
2. turn back signing

Notify borrower(s) of any time change.

Reply by ikando on 1/18/12 3:22pm
Msg #409374

Re: Unfortunately, this happens often.

I was called to do a signing last Friday, 1/6. It was delayed to Monday, 1/9; Tuesday, 1/10, and now to Friday last I heard.

Yes, docs get hung up. Fortunately the time the signers want is not popular, so I'm able to carry it forward.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/18/12 4:45pm
Msg #409385

Re: Unfortunately, this happens often.

You're lucky. As most of us know, a big frustration in our business is blocking off a key appointment time, then having it rescheduled multiple times, only to finally have the signing take place at a time when we're not available. By then we've invested a good chunk of time and energy into it (but hopefully no printing costs, which would make it even worse). That's what we call a money loser!

Reply by NJDiva on 1/19/12 7:44am
Msg #409435

Times have changed! In my experience...

getting the doc's day's ahead are VERY few and far between. I hope that you're not doing this signing out of "desperation" to get your foot in the door. You just may be shooting that foot off...and if not now, possibly when you try to get paid!!!

There are so many co's out there that are lowballing, not paying and taking total advantage of us as professionals, but especially the new SA's entering our "marketplace."

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer", but this may not be the time to be spending all kinds of money to start in this business. It's not like it used to be...again, times have CHANGED. Not sure how many established SA's there are in your area. Go to the "Find a Notary" tab and insert your zip code to find out. The "pickins" are so few as far as closings go, that depending on the amount of notaries (especially well established notaries) are in your area, you may not find this business monetarily advantageous. Especially if you're driving "mere hours away".

It is very typical (in my experience!) to receive doc's last minute, late and occasionally (tee hee) on time or in advance. Others on this site will disagree with me or give you their drop dead times, but (in my experience), this business is now about flexibility. Ya gotta have it. It's just the way it is.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/19/12 11:47am
Msg #409448

I am fortunate enough to be working with several companies that *usually* get docs to me well ahead of the appointment time. One company that I am doing a closing for this evening, I had docs one week ago! (My first time working with them, so it was a pleasant surprise!) I did not print until today just in case docs got revised, but they didn't. My other two closings for today, I had docs yesterday. Some lenders and TC's are able to get docs ready in a timely manner. Some aren't. And sometimes even my regulars have late docs, but it's not the norm.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.