Notary Rotary
No copy for you!
Notary Discussion History

No copy for you!
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/27/12 10:27pm
Msg #410130

No copy for you!

At a signing today (no, nothing as bad as the dead cat signing!), borrowers told me about their "notary from hell" on a recent investment property refi. Notary showed up without anything resembling a copy for the borrower. Nothing. When they asked him where their copy might be, he said, "This is 160 pages! I'm not printing 160 pages for you, too!" Then whenever they asked him about a doc, he'd say "I don't know," and told them to just sign. When they asked him if he could just sort of explain in general terms the point of a document, he'd snap: "I don't know," and told 'em to just sign.
I think they're going to complain cos Mr. Borrower said if he had anything to do with it, that would be the last job that notary ever had.

Where to these SSs find these notaries?

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/27/12 11:07pm
Msg #410132

GAK! Bottom of the barrel, apparently, GG. n/m

Reply by Jack/AL on 1/28/12 12:17am
Msg #410136

Re: GAK! Bottom of the barrel, apparently, GG.

On the "I'll do any closing for 60 bucks" list.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 1/28/12 5:59am
Msg #410143

On occasion when I hear these stories and if I can find out the name of the notary without being too obvious, I look them up, Google their name, etc and find nothing. Most times they are not on NotRot or the other sites. The only other place I can think of, which I do not have access to since I'm not a member, is the NNA Signing Agent listing. A few months back I met a notary at a business conference who said the NNA site was all she was listed on, and her fees were $75 per closing. She didn't know any better.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/28/12 7:24am
Msg #410145

Yep, they're out there. Educate 'em to NR! Raise the bar. n/m

Reply by Alz on 1/28/12 12:13pm
Msg #410164

You are right. I know must people will not

agree, but we should make every attempt to raise the bar in the business,whenever possible. Remember, not everyone wants our assistance, but would prefer to stumble, bumble, and do it their own way, rather than obtain a little knowledge and wisdom.

By the way, I live in the same area as GG and have observed similar situations.

Reply by dww on 1/28/12 5:49pm
Msg #410191

I've had similar experiences hearing horror stories. When I ask the borrowers if they'd like to be sworn in under oath or affirmation prior to executing a jurat they're usually in shock. I've been told, "no other notary has ever made us swear in. What changed and why now?" I proceed to explain the difference and the notarial law in which case they are happy to move forward.
Another frustrating experience is executing loan modifications I've been called out to clean up because the bank (who shall remain nameless) notary public simply stamped the page without any notarial language and gave it back to the customer to send in!!!! It begged the question as to what was notarized and was it a jurat or an acknowledgment? Some borrowers have been curious about why I printed out a set of the loan documents to leave with them if they are blank? Good question of course and I had one realtor tell me in front of the borrowers that the copy of the package I was leaving with them didn't mean anything because I wasn't going to notarize to separate packages! Ummmmm duh, can't have two of the same thing out there with original notary stamp Ms. realtor person!!! Goodness, the things and situations we encounter go unnoticed in our legislatures where our status as Notary Publics could be elevated some. Right?????

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 1/28/12 12:11pm
Msg #410163

those are the $45 low ball notarys republics! LOL ;) n/m

Reply by ikando on 1/28/12 5:21pm
Msg #410187

Re: those are the $45 low ball notarys republics! LOL ;)

Too funny, Carrie. Unfortunately also too true.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/28/12 6:33pm
Msg #410200

I have been called to go in a clean up from other notaries work and some of the things I find..Gee makes me wonder where they find these people! The last one I went to the notary did not even have a complete set of loan docs! Not sure what happened there!

Reply by Luckydog on 1/28/12 6:36pm
Msg #410201

I believe these notary's are starting out. There is no real instruction on what we do, and learn by trial and error. We are told NOT to explain, as we are not attorneys, and just to verify signatures and instruct where to sign. However , if you want to keep your business and make people happy, you must educate yourself and read these documents so you can briefly explain them to the signer. Eventually, these notary's will learn this if they want to stay in business. If not, more business for us who understand this.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.