Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary Publics are public officials!!!!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by dww on 1/28/12 5:54pm
Msg #410193

Did you know that Notary Publics are the largest number of sworn in public officials in the country? I read this last year at the NNA conference and some of the folks who've been doing this before the internet was invented talked about it. But who lobbies for us to have the signature fees raised accordingly? I actually believed NNA was our legislative arm doing just that only to learn not so much! So how do we as a group of professional notary publics move this agenda forward? I strongly suggest that each county in each state create a member organization to study this issue and begin lobbying our state legislatures for the much needed recognition for the work we do and to raise our fee schedule within the law. Any ideas and/or suggestions? I welcome public discourse about this issue that I think should be at the front of the stage for next years NNA Conference, in my humble opinion of course.
Thanks folks for sharing your ideas.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/28/12 6:12pm
Msg #410195

Hate to break the news to you that the only fees the NNA is concerned with is the ones they charge notaries.

The NNA has no authority beyond what notaries give them--which seems to be a lot, due, mostly to misunderstanding of 'what they are' (and aren't). They do infrequently try to do some good at the state level....like they did attempt to fight off VA's acceptance of (for lack of a better explanation) internet notarizations.

If you want to get fees raised, get the ear of your state rep., but don't hold your breath 'til it happens, OK?

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/28/12 6:16pm
Msg #410196

Good luck with that! In Ohio we have formed such a group "The Ohio Society of Notaries" to address this issue and a few others. It is a state issue here..Legistlative issue..It is a difficult issue to get resolved..Its very political. OSN President Roger Rill has been working on this for quite some time..Its a slow process and we hope to effect positive changes in Ohio!

It would be nice if we could simply sign a petiton and that would be that..Heck I cant even get local notaries together for coffee!

Reply by Luckydog on 1/28/12 6:56pm
Msg #410204

It's amazing how some states like SC and WI can only charge .50 and some have no limit, and where I am from, FL we can charge 10.00. Seems like the low ball states need to get it together some how. I am not familiar with the low ball states, but was wondering if they make an average of $100.00 on a closing, or if they have to get much less because of this?
Anyone from WI or SC out there?

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/28/12 7:16pm
Msg #410208

Used to do this in WI and, no, state-mandated fee has nothing to do with the fee you charge for printing, travel, your time, etc. It just doesn't look as pretty at tax time!

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 1/29/12 10:59am
Msg #410228

In IL, $1.00, but for Notarial Records which involve deeds

we can charge $25.00 per notarial act, and $5 of that fee is paid, by the notary who must send in the form as well, for the filing of this record to the cook county recorder of deeds. Note not ALL properties in IL require this notarial record. Only those that are located in my county (Cook) and only those that involve a change of ownership. Its a pilot program that ends next year, but I'm hoping that they keep it around, since that fee is a very very good one!

I've also been solo lobbying very hard on increasing our notarial fees as well. In fact, I welcome other IL np's to join me!

The NNA has lots of lobbyists in mostly all of the states pushing our agenda, though their version and ours are somewhat different. In fact, my SOS has that org referenced on their website as a 'reference' on becoming a np. I've sent numerous emails and letters to the SOS asking them NOT to endorse this org as not all of the np's in our state are members, nor agree with some of the rhetoric they dish out, but to no avail. They are def a strong org and I think those of us that are still members, should seriously press the NNA to continue to lobby especially for an increase in our fees across the board - should be the same for all states in my opinion!

Too bad the other notary associations aren't as strong or lobby as hard as the NNA.

I'm not a fan, and not representing this org in anyway, but just making my observations on this topic and putting in my .02...as you were. Wink

Reply by MichaelB/IL on 1/30/12 2:35am
Msg #410259

Re: In IL, $1.00, but for Notarial Records which involve deeds

I am an Illinois Notary, and I would be interested in helping with this.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/28/12 7:13pm
Msg #410206

FWIW, dww, the plural is Notaries Public, as in Attorneys

General, etc.

Reply by Roger_OH on 1/28/12 11:13pm
Msg #410217

Diane, not sure what you're suggesting...

While I'd certainly agree it'd be nice for every state to have a professional notary association, it's not a small undertaking.

But I'm not sure what you're advocating in your post. At $10, CA, along with FL & MI, already has the highest notary fee in the country. What do you think it should be?

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/29/12 12:33am
Msg #410221

Re: Diane, you're in charge. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.