Notary Rotary
Pet story to end all pet stories
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/27/12 12:27pm
Msg #410038

Rang the doorbell. Mr. Borrower answered, stuttering and stammering (?). I walk in and he informs me the family cat died. I'm thinking that the vet had called with the bad news and that the family was in mourning. (Been there, done that, sad). But no, he meant just that instant. There was this beautiful long-haired white cat deader than heck on the floor! His little boy is hysterical, the wife is crying and trying to comfort the kid. I was momentarily frozen and didn't know what to do. They didn't either. Finally, I said I'd come back in a half hour or so and left. He seemed relieved. I called in a half hour and asked if they still wanted to sign. (Of course, it was EOM). So I went back. Kid still sobbing, cat gone, mom and dad under control, so we got through it somehow. Yikes!

He said the 6-year-old cat just collapsed after jumping from one cushion to the other on the sofa!

Reply by Patti Corcoran on 1/27/12 12:36pm
Msg #410040

good thinking on your part!

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 1/27/12 12:54pm
Msg #410044

Actually, Patti, it took me a while to figure out what to do. At first, like an idiot, I tiptoed respectfully past the deceased cat and started to settle in at the kitchen table, thinking what? - like they'd just drop everything and sign and he would cover up the cat and Mrs. Borrower and the little boy would stop sobbing?!? Not likely. I soon realized that I couldn't just stand there in the middle of this family crisis, making things worse, so I quietly told the guy I'd come back. Like I said, he was relieved. Geez! I just wish I'd thought of saying I'd come back or call before I even went into the house. But again, I didn't realize the poor cat had just died that instant! I thought he meant that the family was in mourning over a not-so-recent death ...

Reply by Yoli/CA on 1/27/12 12:41pm
Msg #410041

OMG!!!

You did good, GG!

Like you said, been there, done that and it is very sad when we lose one of furry family members. It's been over a year since I lost Sasha, the kitten I'd had about 17 years. I didn't function well the rest of that day and still get teary-eyed at times.

Glad for you, and the borrowers, they were able to proceed same day.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/27/12 12:49pm
Msg #410042

Re: OMG!!!

***It's been over a year since I lost Sasha, the kitten I'd had about 17 years.***

Yoli, I think somewhere along the way to her 17th birthday, Sasha moved out of the kitten category and became a cat.

Using your logic, I'd still be a tyke, instead of a surly Olde Phart.

Reply by Mike Goodey on 1/27/12 1:10pm
Msg #410048

Re: OMG!!!

Guess the cat must have been on its 9th life when jumping from the sofa.

Reply by Carole Breckbill on 1/27/12 6:16pm
Msg #410081

Thanks for the belly laugh!!! n/m

Reply by Gary Boehm on 1/27/12 4:35pm
Msg #410065

Pet story to end all pet stories to end that one

I had a Real Estate Sales license many years ago. At this small brokerage there were two guys that went out of town for a week to take a super course on "how to get listings". So they were all excited and pumped up when they got back. They go out on their first call and sit down in the living room with the people. As soon as they sat down from out of the kitchen comes a horrible moaning howl, the dog drags himself in to the living room leaving a trail of (don't want to think about it), plops down in the middle of the room and dies. Could it be worse if it happens DURING the appointment. Needless to say they left without trying to get the listing.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 1/27/12 6:52pm
Msg #410089

Ok, Gary wins. n/m

Reply by Karla/OR on 1/27/12 5:48pm
Msg #410077

Thank you for sharing this story. Hope to remember it, and our response, if I ever run into a similar situation.

Reply by Blueink_TN on 1/27/12 8:01pm
Msg #410102

You handled that very well. I probably would have sobbed along with the family - snif, snif.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 1/27/12 8:13pm
Msg #410103

I reminded a veterinarian friend of mine that I'm a notary. She says she may be calling on me to notarize affidavits in animal cruelty investigations. She does it as a volunteer, so of course I wouldn't charge. This would be an excellent time to only look for blanks without reading the contents of the document.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.