Notary Rotary
Very Frusterating...
Notary Discussion History

Very Frusterating...
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Heather/NH on 1/25/12 1:44pm
Msg #409846

Very Frusterating...

I have been doing closings for a company for a few years now. Never any problem with payment and they meet my fee.
I did a signing recently for them and just got a call that the wife didn't sign itemization of amount financed. Now, I was handing docs directly to the wife, she signed then handed them to her husband. I then got them, checked them out and then put in the pile.
I have no idea how this would have been missed. Signing company asked me to go back and have her sign.. I asked them why they didn't fax it to them, have her sign and fax back and just mail the hard copy (since I didn't have to notarize anything on it). I let them know that I could go back there, but have no availability today. He said they would call borrower and take care of it.
So, the thing that makes me wonder here... this is the 3rd time this particular company has said that something was missing and/or not signed. Both times I looked back through the package and the document was never included so it wasn't my error. I just feel that something is "off". I know that I am not perfect but in this situation I just don't see how I would have missed this.
Any thoughts?

Reply by jnew on 1/25/12 1:48pm
Msg #409848

In the case of this customer, I might scan the signed package and save it on a flash drive (not on the computer hard drive). It is a pain to have to take the extra time to do it, but you have proof that you did a complete job.

Reply by ToniK on 1/25/12 1:56pm
Msg #409850

I went through the same thing. Must be the same company cuz it sounds too familiar. And if its their fault/error, then they will have to pay. If its my error, I'll go fix it. But this one company wants to put the error on me which now has me saving the docs to my computer file and if and when they email me about some error about a missing doc, I can check my docs and inform them it was never included in the original package and either they pay to have me go out or figure out some other way to get the BO to sign. If its not my error, payment is expected to correct their error.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 1/25/12 2:18pm
Msg #409851

Its quite possible you did miss a signature...sometimes

the docs get staticky and stick underneath each other...

Its happened to me, which is why I'm totally obsessed with rechecking docs.

In fact, I probably suffer from DoubleCheck OCD by now, just so this never happens to me, again! Wink

Reply by Heather Michaud on 1/25/12 2:22pm
Msg #409853

Re: Its quite possible you did miss a signature...sometimes

I totally thought of that. However, the husband signed, the wife didn't. IDK, just weird to me. Love it..."double check OCD". I never knew it had a clinical name :p

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/26/12 3:20am
Msg #409891

Re: Its quite possible you did miss a signature...sometimes

Heather, like Buddy alluded to below, in a situation like that, you can simply ask them to fax or email to you the page where you supposedly missed the signature. It will be explicitly clear whether you missed the signature or not. If they can show you a page with only one signature, it's on you. But if they never sent it to begin with, there won't be a husband's signature - unless they're going to some very extraordinary and devious lengths to fake it, which could bring them much bigger problems than a signature missed on a doc.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/25/12 2:40pm
Msg #409856

I have one client that is forever saying "you didn't have them sign this critical doc" (at the title co level) but then I look at the original doc set and it's not there. They do a lousy job of scanning. Thankfully, the SS I work with on this goes to bat for me every time.

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/25/12 2:46pm
Msg #409857

I missed the wifes initials once on the second page of the note and the SS wanted me to go back at my expence and redo the note. They faxed it to me and sure enough there was only the husbands initals on the second page.

They also told me the D.O.T. was missing from the package. I told them that I did it and included it in the return envelope and if it was missing they lost it. If they wanted me to redo the D.O.T. there would be an additional fee. They had no problem with paying me the additional fee.

It seems to me that title or the SS looks for anyway to blame the notary for anything. They seem real picky and they all have their different requirements: blue ink, black ink, inital, no initial.

Reply by ToniK on 1/25/12 3:07pm
Msg #409859

I had one title send me instructions to have the BO initial all docs that didnt have signatures. The BO said HELL NO, he didnt have time to initial non critical docs and 30 pages of closing instructions! I had to laugh at that.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/25/12 9:00pm
Msg #409884

When I first started out..I did not have the bo sign the top of the loan app..The SS asked me to go back again..which I did at my expense..

The SS took months to pay and we had quite a little agrument going on. The SS and I agreed to a compromise..He paid in full and I had to publicly apologize on a notary site I had complained about him on and to this day they are one of my favorites to work for..I never have forgotten to have bos sign that again!

We are human and things happen we move on and hopefully learn from our mistakes!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/28/12 2:23am
Msg #410142

"It seems to me that title or the SS looks for anyway to blame the notary for anything."

Another possibility - that I hate to even think about - is that they run into so many notary errors that they get in the habit of automatically going to the notary when they find a problem...

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 1/26/12 5:45am
Msg #409893

One reason why things aren't just mailed to borrowers ...

Reason number one: LOTS of missed signatures/dates/initials/documents occur all the time, every day. If your job is to obtain all those missing things, the fastest & most reliable way to do that is make one call to NSA and send pdf. The person calling you about this is likely NOT the person who sent the package in the first place, is likely NOT going to spend precious time first ensuring the error wasn't their own, assuming that's even possible to figure out.

Reason number two: Borrowers are NOTORIOUS for lacking expediency about such matters.

IF/WHEN you're called about something missing, if you understand better the reason why YOU are called first, it puts the whole conversation in a better light. Having been the person making those calls (when only 1 in 10 pkgs I post-closed every day came back w/out error), I know the person making that call has a job I do NOT WANT (so stressful). I never debate who's error it might've been, I just roll with it and get things done. It's so rare (last one I had was last summer), nobody CARES who caused it - just get it fixed, now.

Try as we may to be 100% perfect, it's an unattainable goal - how we deal with fixing things is then crucial.

This is where I usually differ greatly from many others - I consider myself part of the 'whole', a team-player (pardon the 80's jargon). It's under the heading of "Customer Service", and an area I try to outshine the crowded field I work in. Even if we both know hands-down it was their error, I won't even point it out, I just get the job done.

One caveat - in 7 years, I can probably still use one hand to count the times I've been called, and I attribute this to my diligence at both my job AND my selection of clients.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/26/12 7:06am
Msg #409898

Can't believe I'm disagreeing with Renee, but

I own my errors and fix ASAP at no charge. (Can't remember last one.)
I will play nice on their errors IF it's very close to home (rare) and a good client.
Other than that, they have to prove I made the error and when they can't, they pay for correction.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 1/26/12 7:28am
Msg #409902

Ha! And I'd agree with YOU ...

if it ever became a problem - which it easily could. Once a year or so, not a problem. A pattern with someone? A problem. =)

Reply by desktopfull on 1/26/12 10:08am
Msg #409911

I've read the entire thread & not one of you have indicated

that you review the package for the critical docs, IE: TIL, IAF,1003, note, mtg, riders, etc. before you leave for the closing. Checking before hand always saves a lot of frustration later.

If something is missing you can call and get it sent or an explanation of why it isn't needed. Plus you have the persons name that verified the doc wasn't necessary.

Reply by Lee/AR on 1/26/12 10:22am
Msg #409914

Good point, but that wasn't the original topic n/m

Reply by desktopfull on 1/26/12 11:23am
Msg #409922

Really? Please disregard & let others yank your chain.

I'll refrain from future comments and allow you to continue to learn from the school of hard knocks.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 1/26/12 11:32am
Msg #409925

What? Why would you assume this desktopfull? Ridiculous! n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/26/12 5:35pm
Msg #409960

DTF...Considering the fact that she said the husband

signed it and the wife didn't, I'd wager the doc wasn't missing - it was just missed on that signature..

Reply by Jodith/WA on 1/26/12 1:36pm
Msg #409931

If I make an error, I fix it at my expense. However, they have to prove it was my error (s which only happens about once a year).

On the other hand, I had one title company say I miss a signature, and when they emailed a copy to be signed, it ended up being a revised copy. Another emailed a revised HUD1 5 minutes before the appt time and then wanted me to get it signed at my expense. Yet another company said they emailed me 2 days ahead of time to pick up a copy of a death certificate, which I never received.

While I'm strong on customer service, my profit margins are thin enough that I can't afford to fix the title company's and lenders mistakes for free.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.