Notary Rotary
Weird, creepy and oh boy....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Tracey Baker on 1/26/12 8:37pm
Msg #409977

Has anyone ever had a borrower text you after the closing and say stuff like I want to take you out for a drink, or try to hit on you and use a totally different number to text you on, one you were not given? Well my question is this, with all of this privacy stuff......wow, we are just out there for the world to see.....all of our information.....address, phone, email, yadda, yadda, yadda......how ironic, we have to protect the borrowers privacy, yet, they can contact us and play stupid games and try to hide their identity and try to get a date out of it.....weird....

Reply by desktopfull on 1/26/12 8:48pm
Msg #409978

Yes n/m

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/26/12 8:51pm
Msg #409979

I've had that happen. Call block works wonders. Ditto on NRA bumper stickers. Just sayin' ;-)

I worry about personal privacy too--especially every time I send out a W-9 with my SSN on it.

If you call your mobile company, they can put a block on the text offender.

Reply by Roger_OH on 1/26/12 8:57pm
Msg #409981

Jessica, don't use your SSN on W-9's!!

Get an EIN (takes a couple minutes on the IRS website) and use it for ALL your business dealings with signing companies.

Reply by Doris_CO on 1/26/12 9:02pm
Msg #409982

Jessica, (and any other notaries that aren't aware) you should have an EIN number from the IRS and use that on your W-9, instead of your SSN. Blocking the number is a good idea as well as that bumper sticker. Smile

Reply by Doris_CO on 1/26/12 9:03pm
Msg #409983

Whoops, Roger beat me to the post it key.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/26/12 9:14pm
Msg #409986

Thanks for tip of EIN

Thanks for the tip of the EIN--I have one, but have been asked for my SSN on the W-9s for so long, I never thought of replacing it with the EIN. (I never thought to ask about that.)

I'm sending out new W-9s TOMORROW.

Thanks for a great tip!

JW

Reply by Eva75Eva on 1/26/12 9:49pm
Msg #409989

Yes... It was at the end of an auto loan signing. I was writing down the borrower's VIN number, the last step in the process and as we were parting he said, "Sooo, where does this go from here?" I knew what he was getting at and made up some quick gibberish like I was clueless saying, "Well I gotta fax this all back and ship it right away, etc." Eew, so icky!

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/26/12 10:44pm
Msg #409992

Aw, Tracey...

There are worst places to meet men. Smile

Reply by Kay/IL on 1/26/12 10:55pm
Msg #409993

Yes

That has happened to me on quite a few occasions. One time, it was a married man who had the nerve to ask me out while his wife was ill and recuperating in the next room. Another time, a borrower called after a closing telling me he felt a "vibe" and wanted to know whether I felt it too.

Life can be interesting in this business.... :/

Reply by Chuckd80/NJ on 1/27/12 9:18am
Msg #410019

Re: Yes

*he felt a "vibe" and wanted to know whether I felt it too. *

LOL!!!! Hilarious!!! I actually use that line, not with Borrowers of course!!! Too funny!!!

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/26/12 10:58pm
Msg #409994

I wish one would call me and try to hit on me. lol

Reply by HisHughness on 1/26/12 10:59pm
Msg #409995

yeah, Jessica, I can relate

I cured my problem by going to Home Depot and buying a 1 1/4 inch dowel rod of good, solid oak. Took a little lathing and sanding, but when I was through, I had myself one helluva persuader. And I wanna tell you, contrary to the popular assertion, you CAN beat 'em off with a stick.

Also, I spend a lot of down time getting away from all that nonsense in my oceanside condo in the Ozarks.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/27/12 12:12am
Msg #410002

Haven't been hit on at loan signings but certainly doing general notary work. I was notarizing a personal loan agreement between a lady (who is the one that called me and arranged the appointment) and a male friend of hers. He was bedridden so we met at his home. As soon as I walked in, the drilling started - flat out asked me my age, if I was married, how many kids I had, how long I'd been married and ** if I was happy in my marriage**, if I was a good cook (?????)....kept calling me "sweetheart" and "honey". The lady got really annoyed with him and told him to "leave the notary alone so we can take care of business".

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/27/12 12:18am
Msg #410004

Y'all really need to stop bragging.

It makes me want to call Lady Clairol.

Reply by LKT/CA on 1/27/12 8:32pm
Msg #410110

Re: Y'all really need to stop bragging.

<<<It makes me want to call Lady Clairol. >>>

Maybe you'll be luckier than me - and "God's gift to women" will be the guy that hits on you. So far, I only get the ole geezers with only 2 teeth!

Reply by BrendaTx on 1/28/12 12:49am
Msg #410140

lol! n/m

Reply by rengel/CA on 1/27/12 12:34am
Msg #410005

No, but I had a wife call me and tell me to stay away from her husband! She told me that she felt an "interest" between me and her husband during the signing and just knew that we were having an affair!!!!!! WTF?????

I quickly assured her that I was a notary public who was randomly called to notarize their signatures on their loan papers and that I had never had any prior contact with her husband nor would I EVER have any further contact with her or her husband. She then told me that they were having "marital problems". Sheesh!

It was very odd

My .02

Reply by HisHughness on 1/27/12 7:28am
Msg #410012

Gives a whole new perspective to "Sealed with a Kiss" n/m

Reply by Julie/MI on 1/27/12 8:15am
Msg #410017

Re: Weird, creepy and oh boy....yep some are creepers!

therefore no business cards and in dont put my address on any of the sites.

i've had to tell some that i'm not here for a date but now i'm old so i don't get hit on like i used to Wink

Reply by Jessica Ward on 1/27/12 7:00pm
Msg #410095

Good point on business cards

I stopped including them automatically a couple of years ago after experiencing "phone number abuse." (Anything other than a professional call). Now they stay hidden until I have a good sense for the signer.

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 1/27/12 9:16am
Msg #410018

Due to my being a dead ringer for Brad Pitt, I am forever

having to fight off the ladies.
Usually they give up after I show them pix of my 4 grandchildren.
Hope everyone had a good EOM
Mine was excellent

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.