Notary Rotary
the state of the business
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by SGPDX on 1/19/12 10:34pm
Msg #409500

I got out of doing signings a few years ago, and I'm wondering what the state of the business is these days.

Around 2002-4 I had some amazing years being a signing agent, then I moved to the Pacific Northwest and continued doing mostly HELOCs for WAMU, and when the **** hit the fan around 2009, I went back to a regular hourly job because it seemed like things were falling apart.

So, how would you rate the state of the business being a siging agent? Are you doing well? I'm thinking about throwing my hat back in the ring, but I'm hesitant to put too much seed money in if things are hand to mouth these days with loan closings.

Thanks for any feedback and insights! I'm in Portland, Oregon, by the way.

S

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/19/12 11:00pm
Msg #409503

Keep your day job! n/m

Reply by Susan Fischer on 1/19/12 11:03pm
Msg #409504

Hey, PDX, Lincoln City, here. Retired from this last

"career" on my birthday in July. By happenstance, fell into The Biz, and flourished through the last nine years or so.

Today, the old models that those like us remember, aren't the reality anymore. Those who have spotted niches to fill, expanded their income streams, and got debt-free, or close, are surviving.

The third-party signing companies are struggling, because they've priced themselves into the lowest common denominator strata, and can't make payroll, so it's slim pickin's for their 'industry.'

I'd venture to say, the Professional Remote NSA will continue to be utilized, but with a caviat: the old-timers who've honed their marketing and professional services skills will survive, and the newbies are in for a long row to hoe.

jmnsho.

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/19/12 11:21pm
Msg #409506

Re: S L O W n/m

Reply by ToniK on 1/20/12 6:09am
Msg #409515

Well for me I do this fulltime because I was laid off my govt job earlier in 2011. It pays the bills, not close to paying all living expenses for the Northern Virginia area but I have expanded and added background investigations to my service. So I dont plan on going back and getting a regular 9-5 job.

Reply by Chuckd80/NJ on 1/20/12 10:14am
Msg #409522

*So I dont plan on going back and getting a regular 9-5 job. *

Love that attitude!

Reply by Kay/IL on 1/20/12 10:41am
Msg #409525

You Go Toni! n/m

Reply by PegiT_MN on 1/20/12 11:10am
Msg #409527

I've been in the mortgage industry for the last 12 years as a mortgage broker, commercial lender, owner of a small mortgage company, underwriter, title closer, and a notary signing agent. I have had to wear many different hats to be able to stay in an industry I absolutely love. It's a rough gig out there......the economy is in bad shape......but you do what you can to pay the bills. I have chosen to do this job full-time because it works for me, my health, and my lifestyle. I don't get paid nearly as much as I did when I was an underwriter at one of the major lenders, but I don't spend nearly as much on doctor bills because I was always sick from the stress and anxiety that came with that job. Working for a big corporation is not a good fit for me. Being self-employed and being able to have full control over my business works for me and working as a notary signing agent is something I actually love doing.

So yes.....I will tell you like everyone else......it's rough out there.......and if you want to go back into it because you are hoping it will be easy money or lots of money.......let me tell you.......it is not!

Reply by lyndie on 1/20/12 11:25am
Msg #409530

I am a fairly new notary in California and must say I really enjoy this job. I am also a licensed service professional in the beauty and health industry, so that keeps me going while I am building my notary business. It sure helps to have two jobs and both are as independent contractors. I think in this day and age, we need to be "jack of all trades" to make it through. Again thank goodness that I found the notary. I only hope the economy gets better for all of us so we can get back to making a good ole normal living.

Reply by jba/fl on 1/23/12 10:59am
Msg #409656

Everybody is so correct here - not a single tall tale. Lyndie hit the nail precisely: jack of all trades. The more one diversifies the better. . . not all eggs in one basket.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.