Notary Rotary
wand scanners
Notary Discussion History

wand scanners
Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Eileen McRorey on 1/22/12 3:45pm
Msg #409613

wand scanners

I have been looking at the vupoint scanner and had a question for anyone who uses one of the handheld scanners: The instructions say to gently fun the scanner across the page. How well does it do on something that may have bumps, or is small and slick like a driver's license?

Reply by John Tennant on 1/22/12 3:52pm
Msg #409615

Mine works very well on drivers licenses, id cards, etc.

In fact, I have had no problems on anything EXCEPT bumpy or uneven surfaces. On those surfaces there appear black lines due to the wand not being in complete contact all the time.

Reply by Carolyn Breckenridge on 1/22/12 4:58pm
Msg #409618

Have you figured out how to merge files into one file with your wand? I was wondering if you could merge them and if so what program are you using?

Reply by jojo_MN on 1/22/12 8:29pm
Msg #409626

I keep anti-glare page protectors in my briefcase. When copying a drivers license, I place it in the page protector and don't have any problems with the uneven edges. Also, it keeps the license from sliding around while scanning.

Reply by OR on 1/22/12 10:00pm
Msg #409628

Re: wand scanners--missing something

I have a printer in my car for copys of the licenses. Do you use this at the signing table? Does it have mamory? Do you have to take it back to the office and print out the drivers licenses?
I like being able to start my car and push a button have a copy of a license. I can just take to Fed Ex or UPS and drop off with the docs. Job done. Inverter was $40 and $65 Copy machine.

Reply by jojo_MN on 1/23/12 8:14am
Msg #409647

Use it at the signing table. It has a memory card. You can take it back to your office to print. Many times the borrower will have you print at their home, so make sure you have the adapter card with you. This comes in handy when you need to have copies of documents, but the borrower doesn't have a copier and lives in a rural area.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 1/24/12 12:01pm
Msg #409730

Why go out of your way with the hassle and expense of more (expensive) equipment? You surely do not get paid any more, for providing this "service".
I personally ask for copies ahead of time. I see no need to invest in more equipment for something that simply requires good communication practice.
When you make first contact with the signers, insisting that they provide whatever copies are required before you arrive. I rarely have someone "forget", if that happens, I have them either email it to me that day or email it directly to title when they get it together.

Reply by jojo_MN on 1/24/12 8:37pm
Msg #409775

I do many closings in rural areas where people don't have copiers and live 20 or more miles to the nearest copying machine.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.