Notary Rotary
Black or Blue Ink, which one??
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to May, 2013 Index

Posted by Matt_VA on 5/3/13 10:59am
Msg #468551

Starting a new thread in response to #468549 and others that morphed on another thread. This is a simple thing, but worth discussion.

I'm saying that with 2000+ closings that Black Ink is the default color for a Refi signing, with national major lenders, Chase, Wells etc and that Blue is used when a lender or TC is specific to blue, which is not often, though maybe becoming more so. Did at least half of these with FASS (Since left them) but, as bad as they may be, they do cover a multitude of lenders. Maybe more of the smaller TC want blue Ink for themselves, but generally not large lenders. Not saying that blue is not a more logical color, but black faxes and copies better then blue so most companys want black.

Getting alot of disagreement which is great for 'Polite" discussion. Your thoughts?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 5/3/13 11:05am
Msg #468553

Again...25 years as a real estate closing paralegal in CT, 7 years a signing agent in Florida

Have closed Wells, Chase, BofA, Countrywide, Provident, local banks, etc etc

*Almost* always blue ink - very very rare that black was required. So, IMO and IME, black is not the universal default color - that's usually a rare lender requirement or a loan for a property in a state where the recording requirements are black ink.

JMO & JME

Reply by Luckydog on 5/3/13 4:44pm
Msg #468624

The "default" color is determined from your state, not the lender. Florida is a blue state as most are so they can originals from copies. I think there are 3-4 states out there that require black ink.

Reply by Lee/AR on 5/3/13 11:11am
Msg #468554

Either one--just don't use glitter purple and you'll be fine

Some will specify ink color and then you just use whatever color they want.

Reply by Robin Wilson on 5/3/13 11:12am
Msg #468555

I am a notary for two states and they both require blue ink. It doesn't matter where the title company is, the state of signing regulates the ink required, due to filing of the deed and such. Also, blue ink proves it is an original and not a copy. I also use gel, check fraud pens, the ink cannot be bleached out and the signing is consistent and with some older people they don't press hard enough anymore to sign, so this helps. I provide the pens to use so all the ink is consistent throughout the paperwork.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 5/3/13 11:19am
Msg #468557

Blue, unless specified Black. n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 5/3/13 11:32am
Msg #468559

same - blue..... n/m

Reply by ToniK on 5/3/13 11:32am
Msg #468558

I have completely switched to blue and rarely do I carry black anymore because 99.99% of the instructions say blue.

Although I personally prefer black as my handwriting looks better in black!

Reply by Resilient/MD on 5/3/13 11:36am
Msg #468561

Blue, unless specified in the instructions.

Reply by Louisiana33 on 5/3/13 12:10pm
Msg #468562

I prefer blue gel pens unless the Title/Signing company says otherwise. There was one company that specifically stated "no gel pens". My notary seal also is in blue ink.

Reply by Matt_VA on 5/3/13 1:31pm
Msg #468574

Wow. Thanks for the replies. That's 8-1 just in here for blue. Pretty compelling, Guess I better start asking more often for preferences. Maybe it is a state thing or a county thing as well. The majority of my loans are closed in Fairfax County, VA at least 3/4, and I have never heard a peep from any TC about color issues. You guys got me thinking, not changing but thinking about it. Thanks

Reply by CopperheadVA on 5/3/13 2:04pm
Msg #468584

I always use blue unless specified otherwise (extremely rare). If you close loans for LSI, their universal instructions say to use blue. BOA has always required blue. Many times either color is OK but the preference is blue.

Reply by Kate/PA on 5/3/13 2:28pm
Msg #468587

Blue is color for all loan signings in the city of Philadelphia.

Reply by Jessica/FL on 5/3/13 2:33pm
Msg #468590

I am true to BLUE! n/m

Reply by Mike Goodey on 5/3/13 3:17pm
Msg #468599

I have gotten alot of requests for blue ink..I believe it was, at one time, because of the possibility of reproducing the docs that they figured blue ink was safer....not with all the technology now...but title companies rarely make changes that make sense.

Reply by linda/ca on 5/3/13 4:57pm
Msg #468625

99.9% Blue. Funny thing is that 99.9 borrowers think black. n/m

Reply by BobtheElder on 5/3/13 5:52pm
Msg #468633

I can't even remember the last time I saw a black ink requirement. I've done BofA, Chase, Wells, etc... never seen requirement for anything but blue in years.

Though here in Ohio, some counties in the past have refused to record documents unless they are signed in blue so that could be why.... I carry a few black pens, but they're probably dried up by now...

Reply by MW/VA on 5/3/13 7:12pm
Msg #468642

I've been using blue for several years. IMO it has become

the industry standard. It allows them to tell the original "wet signed" docs easier than black, as I understand it. I haven't had a request for black ink in a long time.
I started with gel pens & then went to ball point. The gel pens have a tendency to smear.

Reply by jnew on 5/3/13 7:33pm
Msg #468653

Wisconsin is one of the states which does not accept blue ink on a recorded document other than a signature or initial. The acceptable colors are black and red for written text or stamps. Some legislator must have accepted the notion that blue would not scan correctly. We had to fight with the Register of Deeds over initials. They originally would not accept initials in blue because they considered the law to cover signatures only. One of the local lawyers convinced the ROD that an initial was shorthand for a signature and they then allowed blue. I have been scanning documents since the early nineties and have never had a problem with blue not scanning properly. I would rather the signer use one color since if the date is required next to a blue signature you have to switch to a black pen for the date, else the document will be unrecordable.!!

Reply by VT_Syrup on 5/3/13 8:51pm
Msg #468662

Years ago copy equipment only responded to blue light, so to the copier it would seem that light blue writing and the white paper were the same, because the copier didn't "see" the yellow and red light coming from the paper, only the blue. Graph paper was available with a light blue grid that didn't copy. Maybe the law was passed in that era.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.