Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

PrevNextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #36929

2 replies
You'll never see anything like this
By Bear900/CA on 3/27/24 10:23am

Quad-zilla

http://youtu.be/HE1a9v1DX9I?si=SxSpnyDg36GxXJoC

Msg #36928

2 replies
Me walking early in the morning
By Bear900/CA on 3/27/24 9:36am

http://youtu.be/Q60mSMmhTZU?si=E5sxbIaM-WloXb32

Msg #36914

10 replies
Garden news
By Bear900/CA on 3/24/24 3:15pm

I know Cheryl has hers going. Hopefully others will get inspired.

Last few years I didn't plant until early or mid-April but this year we have an early Spring so great time to get some plants in the ground.

We spent half a day two weeks ago and topped off the five beds with new compost then planted seeds and seedlings. That's pretty early and was a bit of a gamble but timed it just right and it's now taking off. Lettuce is off to a fast start, and we should be able to start harvesting in a week or two. we planted several rows and varieties.

For seedlings we planted lettuce, chard, kale, spinach, eggplant, green onions, a variety of tomatoes, a variety of peppers and broccoli.

For seeds we planted cilantro, green onions, chives, radishes, butternut squash, Thai basil and arugula. May have planted more but can't remember. Radish and arugula are up and running.

We always mix herbs to repel some pests and attract predator bugs to kill the bad bugs. Herb seedlings we added are Thai basil, a lot of Italian basil and thyme, I have left-over parsley and oregano.

I put a dozen tomato plants in, mostly big reds and small golden delicious. Trying a couple of Aussi big reds that are supposed to grow to as much as two pounds. Will need to add a lot of phosphorus around the tomatoes and peppers to get bigger fruit.

I'll plant carrots mid-summer to harvest in fall and winter. Right now, they'd be in the way of early spring plants.

We're have shower/sun activity this weekend so took a sun break yesterday and planted a bunch of wildflower seeds along the fence and at the end of the garden beds. I did a bit of research on companion flowers and herbs for vegetables so upped my game this year by adding more basil along the tomatoes, chives along the kale and broccoli, and sweet alyssum which draws in predator bugs to eat things like aphids.

Two weeks ago, the garden looked scraggly and now it's starting to mature nicely. We've narrowed down to just planting what we eat.

Hope all are enjoying the early Spring. Great time to be outdoors! Reminds me, I need to plan a camping trip.

Msg #36912

4 replies
Attack?
By  Mike Goodey on 3/24/24 1:49pm

Unconfirmed reports state that a large group of Russian troops has amassed in Syria near the Israeli border. This information is coming out of Israel via Israeli television reports. If this is true then it could be the invasion from surrounding countries in an attempt to annihilate Israel. Turkey, Libya and Iran would need to get involved, which would not be a surprise.
We all need to stay tuned as this will definitely affect us all.

Msg #36907

1 replies
Credit Card Skimmers ... just a reminder
By  Yoli/CA on 3/23/24 10:54am

Recently, my daughter had her debit card hacked. She didn't realize it until her credit union called her to ask if she's been using her card in San Francisco, Sacramento and Florida, various designer retailers and Amazon. Nope to all of them! It took a couple of weeks for the whole thing to be cleared up and her funds returned. Meanwhile ....... ;(

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/how-to-spot-a-credit-card-skimmer-at-gas-pumps-and-avoid-getting-scammed/ar-AAXe1pI?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=5ecb709687224827b894cabc063ce234&ei=23

Msg #36905

9 replies
Happy old dogs and small new tricks.
By SC/CA on 3/22/24 2:06pm

I’ve been slowly altering my lifestyle, and it’s paying off. I’m inspired by the responsiveness from my doctors, things I’ve researched and incorporated, and tips and inspiration on this forum. It wasn’t one big thing, nothing dramatic, just a lot of little things.

I’ve gained muscle mass, lost 4 inches in my waistline and went down 2 sizes, in about 3-4 years. And more importantly, I have more endurance, less pain, and better health. I weigh exactly the same, just more fit. I listened to Janet when she said she ate more fruits and vegetables to increase health. I realized that I wasn’t eating enough fresh fruit, and increased intake. I listened to Bear when he talked about plant-based diets, increased legumes and tofu, and got mega inspired by healthful recipes. I watched the Live to 100 show that Bear suggested and increased my physical activity through yard work. I was especially inspired by the amazing ax-wielding 105 yr old woman on the show and asked my husband to teach me how to chop wood. Now I help him chop and haul wood, and model/lumberjack Elizabeth Hurley is my secret role-model. I listened to Cheryl and Bear when they talked about their love of garden- fresh foods, and Yoli and Carolyn when they talked about medical advocacy and health, and Donna with awesome Eugene cuisine and good attitudes. It all helps!

Strongly advocating for specific types of medical care has yielded surprising results. My doc recommended spinal injections and pills for pain management for chronic thoracic pain. I asked for acupuncture, chiropractic, and P/T, which I got. I’ve been going to a pain management center that I didn’t even know existed and would not have known about had I not asked. No injections for chronic pain. Acupuncture and chiropractic have been fantastic. I listened to P/T when he showed me some of my old dog exercises - and how they could be done differently – much to my benefit, and increasing my yoga/isometrics and cardio, over time.

I like the idea of listening and being open to changing things for the better in a safe, gradual, and consistent way. Maybe a bit boring... but it’s been great! My mantra has been: “Keep up the good work, you’re on the right track”. Simple but good :-) Thanks for the inspiration!

Msg #36904

2 replies
Color printer info - anyone have?
By jba/fl on 3/21/24 5:32pm

Looking for color printer that is easy, fast, inkjet. Anyone have a favorite? Why? TIA

Msg #36902

1 replies
Paradise Found!
By  Yoli/CA on 3/21/24 8:53am

I had a HELOC signing yesterday in the little town of Paradise. This is the same town that was devastatingly flattened 5-1/2 years ago by the Camp Fire.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/11/17/us/california-fires-wrap/index.html

More than 5 years later, Paradise is still rebuilding. What used to be a forest is now only a few trees left standing.
Construction going on everywhere. Heavy equipment on the road up to town. The blessed survival spirit of the residents is palpable.

This was my first time to ever visit Paradise. Glad I was given the opportunity. Smile

Msg #36896

5 replies
Amniotic Membrane Treatment
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/17/24 12:07am

I had this procedure two weeks ago and just had the followup today. It helped me to see better in my right eye. The second one will be done in two months. Any one else had this eye treatment?

Msg #36895

0 replies
Happy International Women’s Day!
By SC/CA on 3/8/24 5:46pm

https://youtu.be/W3lTReQrRpk?si=LvculHBbnDKLxmbJ

Msg #36894

0 replies
Home security was discussed
By SC/CA on 3/6/24 6:21pm

a while back on the form. I read this article from LA Times (via SFgate), and they a couple of good tips.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/lapd-warns-homeowners-simple-trick-burglars-use-18707140.php

Msg #36889

3 replies
Driving while intoxicated
By  Mike Goodey on 3/4/24 3:05pm

I read an article today about a tragedy that happened the other day locally. 5 women were traveling around 11pm near White and Francis aves in Pomona when they were hit by a drunk driver. The drunk driver had some injuries, sent to the hospital and was subsequently arrested.
Two women died at the scene, the other three were transported to the hospital where one of them died. So tragic that this happened and that their lives were lost so quickly because of carelessness and thoughtless regard for human life.

Just a reminder. " Don't drink and drive !!"

Msg #36885

1 replies
Hatch watch in Big Bear Valley, CA
By  Cheryl Elliott on 3/3/24 8:23am

Jackie and Shadow are getting ready to hatch those three eaglet eggs. It's pretty egg-citing. Yesterday 20,000 viewers logged onto the site to watch the excitement, amid snow and blizzard conditions for the arrival of these new eaglets to their expectant parents and audiences worldwide.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/eagle-chick-hatch-watch-tens-174613409.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall

Msg #36881

3 replies
Thank you Lord
By  Mike Goodey on 3/1/24 12:09pm

Just saw an incident that looked like a scene you might see in a thriller movie. It happened in Kentucky on a bridge and involved cars and a semi. The scene from "Breakdown" at the end reminds me of what I just saw happen.
There was some kind of accident, news reports didn't have facts yet, but a semi was dangling over the freezing water of the Ohio river on a bridge and it appeared that a lot of the cargo bed was hanging. Not sure how the rest of the truck kept from dropping. A rescuer was hoisted down and needed to remove the driver from the cab without the driver dropping to his/her death.
It was pretty amazing to see both being hoisted up, the rescuer holding on in the cold, then slightly swinging toward the bridge so they could both be grabbed to safety.
Thank the lord for being there and blessing this truck driver and the rescuer.

Msg #36880

3 replies
Record highs and record lows, beautiful warm sunny days,
By SC/CA on 2/29/24 11:17am

flowers blooming, with storms, rain and high winds in between – reminds me of Tom Waits, Emotional Weather Report. :-).

http://youtu.be/S5lm4fdJLpE?si=M2NztYYG41YvaxUn

Msg #36874

2 replies
Real heroes with regular lives
By  Mike Goodey on 2/21/24 3:05pm

My older son, MJ, went to visit his younger brother, Justin, at West Covina Fire just to talk and possibly get some advice since he is having marital problems. Apparently one of Justin's "brothers" is going through a divorce so MJ was able to get advice from him also. MJ spent all day at the station and went on several calls with the guys at the station. He had 3 meals with the crew. You would think one of them would say "Don't I hear your mama calling?" But he told us the guys were super nice.
MJ gave details about the calls they went on as he was able to sit on the engine as his brother drove it. He was quite impressed how Justin handled the rig. One call was a structure fire but ended up being an older gentleman throwing newspapers into his chimney and lighting them...just a lot of smoke. Another was a lady was dizzy and I believe they ended up taking her to the hospital. A third one was a slip and fall but when they arrived the elderly man had already passed. MJ was surprised that they worked on him for about 20 minutes trying to revive him, but to no avail.

Reminds me of a story a fire captain friend told us about an accident that happened at Puddingstone Reservoir years ago. A 14 year old girl wanted to drive their Sea-do and begged her 12 year old brother to ride with her.
Well apparently she was going too fast and not in control and crashed into another craft and fatally injured her brother. The sister and family were in shock when the captain and his squad arrived so the captain told his team to work on the boy as they transported him to the hospital. Captain knew he was dead but for the sake of the family and especially the sister, kept trying whatever they could.
Just to show that these heroes don't quit. My wife and I went on a ride along during Covid and it was an experience to remember.

Also reminds me of the first time when Justin was just a fire reserve for San Dimas Fire and went on a ride along at West Covina Fire. They got a call about a man who had a heart attack in his bathroom. When they got there the paramedic turned to the captain and told him to call it as deceased man. Now my son had never dealt with a death except for at a funeral home for a relative, but he had to help carry the man, who was quite overweight, out of the bathroom, which was very small and they had to move every which way to properly get him out.
Justin said it bothered him for awhile but he got over it within the next few days. Dealing with dead little ones still stings him because he has two littles ones of his own. These guys are so professional and have to handle difficult situations.

Msg #36870

0 replies
Scary
By  Mike Goodey on 2/20/24 1:59pm

Just saw a news story about squatters' rights in Georgia. Apparently the law is very vague and there appears to be some major problems because of this.
One story was a family went on vacation. When they returned they found that another family had moved in. The police were called but the homeowners were told that it was a civil, not criminal case.

The squatters reported that they found the home on Craig's List and were scammed as well. Supposedly the scammers had keys and a lease but you would think that once the squatters entered the home and found clothes in the closets and food in the refrigerator they would know they were wronged.

Apparently legislators are trying to amend that law.

Msg #36868

4 replies
Slurry anyone?
By SC/CA on 2/20/24 10:45am

Hmmmmm... “an illusion of food.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/you-may-be-eating-predigested-food-here-s-why/ar-BB1hC4Gv

Msg #36861

2 replies
You have to wonder
By  Mike Goodey on 2/18/24 2:13pm

We met good friends of ours last night at Lucille's BBQ in Chino to celebrate my wife's birthday which is Monday.
Debbie and Phil invited us out and brought a bottle of red wine from Spain to celebrate. Debbie asked the waiter to uncork the bottle when we arrived, knowing there was a $15 uncorking fee. So we arrive and Debbie asks the waiter again to uncork the bottle. It gets to be 10 minutes and she starts wondering what's going on?
The waiter came back with a cheap wine opener and asked if we wanted to open it. We're like "What?" "You are charging us 15 bucks and we have to open it?"
He must have been new. We told him to bring it to the bartender and have him open the bottle.

It was smooth tasting Cabernet and quite good, didn't take us long before that bottle was empty.

Msg #36856

11 replies
Pickup trucks, dogs and whisky
By Bear900/CA on 2/16/24 2:56pm

When I drive my 1-ton heavy duty diesel there's no music that makes sense inside of it but Country.

And you learn a lot....

This morning, I learned that Tennessee is passing a no-cold beer sale bill. Unless it's at a bar you have to buy it warm, take it home and cool it off if you wish. Supposedly to cut down drunken drivers.

I....don't think that will work.

I also heard for the first time a very old Toby Keith song, Whisky Girl. What's happening to me??

http://youtu.be/N44pIQ0fJKA?si=x0iYZzvWwlklAbO6

I see cowboy boots and hat in the future. Love driving my rig...

PrevNextFirstLast SearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.