Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #607991

2 replies
Heloc
By biglee/Ca on 6/29/19 9:40am

I have a question doing a heloc signing today and in the package there is the doc asking the borrower haw they want to receive their funds, this is the first time I have seen this in a heloc package. I assume the lender wants it completed is this normal for a heloc signing and does the form need to be completed.

Msg #607990

2 replies
Really a pleasant day yesterday
By Luckydog on 6/29/19 9:26am

At the end of the month for a few days, I typically go "all in" at various local title companies who need the help for builders for that "month end/quarter end" rush. The title company I visited yesterday was so nice! They had a video on for the kids on a nice large flat screen in waiting area, Herman Miller chairs for the office staff and conference tables, huge 36" double monitors for the settlement agents and during crunch time had chair massages for them to relieve the stress with a professional masseuse coming in for them. Taking that 10-15 minutes really made the difference. They had a beautiful Mediterranean menu for us to chose from for lunch as well. It was really first class all the way! I so look forward to helping them out again!

Msg #607989

3 replies
Robokiller to fight phone scams, any one using it?
By  Cheryl Elliott on 6/29/19 8:34am

I'm one someone's list. I keep getting these calls from the SSA telling me my Social Security number is going to be canceled!

Apparently, I'm not the only one in my area getting these calls. Then, yesterday the SBPD reported this alert about these spam calls.

The Santa Barbara Police Property Crimes Unit would like to remind its citizens to be cautious of various phone scams that occur daily throughout our nation. These scams are often internationally based, however, will represent a local area code using caller identification spoofing applications. These scam artists often prey on unsuspecting citizens and are persistent with their questions and threats.

Recently, a report was submitted by a concerned citizen of a scam in which the caller claimed to be a representative for the Social Security Administration and deceitfully claimed she was working with an officer with the Santa Barbara Police Department. The caller was able to identify the incident as a scam and ended the phone call.

Please be mindful of such scams and please do not disclose financial information, social security numbers, addresses, or other personal identifying information unless the caller can be verified through other means.

Msg #607985

8 replies
Got a call from a PI firm today
By  Cheryl Elliott on 6/28/19 4:06pm

Asking if I would attend a signing this afternoon to get a couple things notarized, an agreement for their service fee and an ID Affidavit. They pay via paypal immediately. $100, just a few blocks away, and then send back the documents via UPS.

The lady I'm meeting with lost her home in foreclosure. The trustee sold the house at auction for much more than the lender was owed, hence, she is owed a tidy sum. The trustee is usually in no hurry to settle for these amounts owed to the defaulted borrower, so this PI company goes to bat for them.

Interesting gig. Any one else had one of these?

Msg #607975

4 replies
Business is good
By Luckydog on 6/28/19 6:42am

The past 2 months, especially this last week, I have had to turn down over a dozen offers just because I am booked EOM. I think we could be riding that top of the rollercoaster where we are in demand and can demand at least a $xxx.xx. Those of you accepting less should rethink your business plan because business is steadily increasing and that means can get at least that basic $100.00+ . Go up that extra $15.00+ than you are taking. If you are still accepting less, rethink your plan, because interest rates are lowering, seller's are selling, and people are buying. Summer traditionally is a good time of year and no reason to take in those filler jobs with less than that offered. If we can value our worth at what it used to be we can ride that profit train again, we should. Remember, this roller coaster ALWAYS goes back down the track, so get it while you can! jmo

Msg #607960

4 replies
Assent Mortgage, LLC -- LARGE PACKAGE --
By Yoli/CA on 6/27/19 4:40pm

Just printed and prepped 194 pages with 15 notarizations for one individual! Price accordingly.

Msg #607955

8 replies
Superior Notary Services subpoena
By Mobile1/PA on 6/27/19 9:44am

Superior Notary Services are offering $50 to hand serve subpoenas? Who is doing these for them and is it worth it? Do you feel safe doing it?

Msg #607951

6 replies
Perspective on why volume-at a loss for each job-won't work
By  Linda_TN on 6/27/19 8:22am

https://www.businessinsider.com/fedex-amazon-ending-shipping-service-why-costs-balance-sheet-2019-6

Yeah, probably not the best analogy, but it works for me. Especially since husband has to explain this to couriers at his station. In this example, volume, or deferred packages shipped, WENT UP 24%. But the revenue from all those packages WENT DOWN. So all those extra packages, or more volume didn't mean squat. One reason that FedEx will no longer deliver Amazon packages.

The last sentence of what I pulled from the article and quoted below says it all--a high volume segment isn't necessarily one that drives operating profits. Something to think about if you think volume from low fee assignments that you are losing money on is going to work in your favor.

"Amazon packages are very small, and they don't take up a whole lot of space, but at the same time there's not a whole lot of money to be made by moving them," Cathy Roberson, an analyst with Logistics Trends & Insights LLC, told Business Insider.

FedEx's most recent quarterly earnings highlighted that. The Memphis, Tennessee-based package carrier's segment of US deferred packages (non-priority shipments) jumped by 24%. But the revenue per package dipped by 7% — to $15.41 a package from $16.52. It shows the difference between volume and yield — a high-volume segment isn't necessarily one that drives operating profits."

Msg #607948

4 replies
Kentucky Notaries
By Margeurite Gutierrez on 6/26/19 10:34pm

Looking for info for my niece. She is considering becoming a notary in Kentucky. I understand that notaries in Kentucky set their own fees, however, realistically, what are notaries charging in Kentucky?

Msg #607945

7 replies
Mortgage connect Agreement Adendum
By obbie on 6/26/19 7:29pm

Has anyone else received this and if so what are you doing about it? Did you read the audit section? I personally think parts of it are an invasion of my privacy. Opinions?

Msg #607936

10 replies
State Notary fees. I had a call today for a quote from a
By  MW/VA on 6/26/19 4:50pm

preschool about doing 13-15 notarizations for them. I quoted them the usual $5 per notarization (maximum allowed in VA) plus my travel fee. She proceeded to tell me that another notary had quoted them $15 per notarization! I was shocked! ;_(
Some think it's none of our business what other notaries do, but I don't agree. Whatever is going on in the industry affects us all. There are too many notaries out there doing things that don't comply with the VA Law. I certainly won't go to the extent of reporting it to the SOC, but this kind of thing is really notary misconduct.

Msg #607926

4 replies
Link Signings / Mission Viejo, CA
By  Teresa/FL on 6/26/19 2:19pm

http://linksignings.com/

I received an email solicitation to sign up with them to perform automative signings (new vehicle purchases).

None of the dealer documents require notarization, but they "email a standard acknowledgment certificate to be notarized when verifying customer identity." I requested that they email me a sample certificate so I can determine if it meets Florida requirements, but have not received a response from them yet. My concern is that they would expect me to just sign and put my seal on this "standard acknowledgment" stating that I have viewed the signer's ID without having the signer/buyer also sign.

Apparently, they overnight the dealer docs to you and claim to pay via PayPal, Venmo, or mailing a paper check within 24 hours of order completion.

Payment is $55 plus $10 if you are able to prompt the signer/buyer into posting a 5* review on social media.

Any feedback from anyone who has actually worked for them?

Msg #607904

17 replies
SBA loan dual notary stamping
By RltrMike/FL on 6/26/19 6:44am

A recent SBA loan processor for a signing I recently did bounced the package because I didn’t stamp and sign both certificates (Jurat and Acknowledgement) that appeared on a document for one borrower signature line. I told the title company to tell the SBA processor that one or the other is used, but not both. The processor wanted two notary signatures and two notary stamps on the one doc! The title company argued with me and said to just give them what they want. I said no. Just to be sure, I called my notary association hotline and notified the signing company that hired me. They both said the same thing, one or the other. Has anyone else ever dealt with this?

Msg #607902

5 replies
Nationwide Signing Sevice...Any recent experience?
By FeliseSoCal on 6/25/19 7:11pm

My last job with them was paid, but it was past due and I had to follow up. Anyone else?

NSSNOTARY.COM © 2012-2019 Nationwide Signing Services, LLC.
209 E Baseline Rd #E201 Tempe, AZ 85283

Msg #607899

0 replies
More on those pesky robo callers
By  Cheryl Elliott on 6/25/19 3:13pm

By Brian Fung, CNN Business

(CNN) — The US government announced a nationwide crackdown on illegal robocalls on Tuesday, targeting companies and individuals who have collectively placed over 1 billion unwanted calls for financial schemes and other services, according to the Federal Trade Commission.

The crackdown involves nearly 100 cases, five of which are criminal enforcement actions. They were brought by the FTC, Justice Department, 15 states and a slew of local authorities.

It marks the latest effort by regulators to battle back the tide of unwanted and illegal calls from telemarketers and scammers.

Some of those targeted by the action were a major source of robocalls. Derek Jason Bartoli, a Florida man who allegedly developed, sold and used a form of software that allows millions of calls to be placed in quick succession, was responsible for 57 million calls to US phone numbers over six months in 2017, according to a federal complaint.

“By putting people like Derek Bartoli out of business, we are able to deprive the robocallers of the important tools of their trade,” said Andrew Smith, director of the FTC’s bureau of consumer protection, in a press conference Tuesday.

The joint action includes the states of Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Virginia.

It comes as lawmakers in both chambers of Congress are preparing legislation that would expand the government’s power to limit illegal robocalls. On Tuesday, a House subcommittee is expected to consider the Stopping Bad Robocalls Act. The bill directs the Federal Communications Commission to flesh out its rules making clear that robocalls may only be made to consumers with their consent.

In the Senate, the TRACED Act would expand the FCC’s power to punish illegal robocallers by increasing the maximum fines that the agency can levy for each robocall and by extending the statute of limitations to three years, up from one.

Robocalls have become a major concern for policymakers as Americans have increasingly been subjected to unwelcome cellphone interruptions and, in the worst cases, fraud. The telecom industry recently received clearance from the FCC to begin blocking robocalls by default, using technology that can screen out unwanted calls much like spam filters send junk email to a separate folder.

Smith said stemming the flow of robocalls must involve a combination of new technologies, government intervention and consumers’ own behavior — hanging up on robocalls, switching on call blocking through wireless carriers and reporting robocalls to the FTC.

“We use those complaints to drive our law enforcement actions,” said Smith.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Msg #607895

14 replies
Multiple names in one certificate
By  VT_Syrup on 6/25/19 11:49am

In Msg #607853 there were some questions about CA certificates, including whether it's necessary to have a separate certificate for each name. I have a few thoughts, which are not limited to CA certificates.

If the document already has certificates with names filled in, but the notary has to replace them with loose certificates because the wording isn't right, the safest thing is to replace each certificate with a correct certificate with the same name(s) on it as the certificate being replaced. Even if it would be legal to combine several names on to one certificate, the document authors may have reasons for separating the names that the notary is unaware of. Also, the people at the firm receiving the documents may not be well-trained, but rather following a simple checklist that does not allow for combining names.

If there are no certificates, and the signer or document recipient informs the notary about which notarial acts are needed, but does not go into detail about whether to combine names or not, it would be safe to combine names if all the people are signing for themselves, but not if they are signing as representatives. For example, starting July 1, if John and Jill Smith were signing as president and secretary of WXY Corporation, and said they wanted acknowledgements, I'd write

State of Vermont

County of Rutland

This record was acknowledged before me on July 1, 2019, by John Smith as president of WXY Corporation....

and

State of Vermont

County of Rutland

This record was acknowledged before me on July 1, 2019, by Jill Smith as secretary of WXY Corporation....

The certificates to use for representatives vary from state to state.

Msg #607859

13 replies
Snap docs outage
By Walt Ashley on 6/24/19 3:16pm

Anyone else try to log into Snapdocs today’s? All I get is a screen that says there is a problem.

Msg #607853

10 replies
Question Regarding Certificates?
By Marissa Monjaras on 6/24/19 2:03pm

I’m new to this Notary Public thing. I’ve recently received my commissioned for the first time and haven’t done any notarizing yet. This might be a silly question but one I am confused about.

When notarizing a document that requires multiple signatures to be notarized from the same signer, do you need to do a certificate for each signature or just one certificate at the end for the whole document?

Also, kind of the same question but I am aware that documents contain pre-printed certificates, whether it be an acknowledgement or jurat, within the document. If there are multiple signatures needing to be notarized within the document, aka multiple pre-printed certificates within the document, and they do not contain the proper wording.. do I need to attach a loose certificate for each pre-printed one inside the document? Or will just one at the end of the document be fine?

Msg #607851

6 replies
Advise please
By  ladyknc on 6/24/19 12:36pm

So there is a notary here in Wilmington who does "signings" for several local mobile home dealers. What happens is that docs are signed and she drops in later to notarize them. The dealership gets a copy of the buyers IDs and that is how she identifies them even though the signers have NOT appeared before her as the documents indicate they are supposed to. One of the dealerships raved when they used me several times because I was professionally dressed, had signers sign my journal etc etc They complained about her dress and that she was always late really late. So I was their exclusive notary until I was out for eye surgery and then they brought her back. Sure it is alot simpler with her but .......

Another notary mentioned that someone she did a car title for mentioned that they typically use this notary above but she was not available. He revealed that "the above notary will date and sign open titles".
Feedback

Msg #607848

4 replies
Recently one of my clients purchased a $16M comm n/m
By  Cheryl Elliott on 6/24/19 11:12am

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.