Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

I've only ever kicked one person out of my office.
Posted by  Priscilla Witman of CA on 2/21/14 8:07pm Msg #502056
And it was a man who brought his sick, elderly mother in my office to sign a GPOA. She was in a wheelchair, and as he wheeled her in, her neck was limp, and her head was bobbing all over the place. She was in a housecoat, and had some sort of IV line still in her arm. He slapped the documents, and her CA ID card, down on my desk, and said, "She wants to sign these so I can take care of all her business".

I looked them over briefly, turned to the woman, and said, "My name is Priscilla. You're here to have your signature notarized on this General Power of Attorney document today?" She looked up at my slowly, with half-open eyes, and slurred, "What document? What am I signing?" I gave the documents and ID back to the son and said, "I can't notarize her signature. I'm not confident she even knows where she is, let alone that she's about to sign a General Power of Attorney. Sorry."

As he was leaving angrily, he said, "I'll be back with a doctor's note, and you'll be notarizing this document. That's what I'm doing. I'll be back." He's never come back.

It's not that I didn't want to help him, or help her. I don't know what his motives were, and honestly, I didn't want to find out. I had red flags and alarm bells as soon as he came in and she could hardly keep her head up. Sometimes you just have to trust your instincts.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Unnerving POA Appointment - Karla/OR on 2/21/14 4:36pm
 Your payment coming on the wings of angels. n/m - DebraOro/CA on 2/21/14 4:49pm
 wow, Karla! kudos to you for your due dilligence! n/m -  sigtogo/OR on 2/21/14 5:56pm
 diligence :) n/m -  sigtogo/OR on 2/21/14 5:57pm
 Re: Unnerving POA Appointment - HeatherR/CA on 2/21/14 6:07pm
 Good job, even if you didn't get paid for it... - MikeC/TX on 2/21/14 6:24pm
 Re: Unnerving POA Appointment - NVLSlady/VA on 2/21/14 6:33pm
 Kudos. POA's are very powerful & delicate documents. -  MW/VA on 2/21/14 7:46pm
 I've only ever kicked one person out of my office. -  Priscilla Witman on 2/21/14 8:07pm
 Re: Unnerving POA Appointment -  DMOH on 2/22/14 10:12am
 Re: Unnerving POA Appointment - Karla/OR on 2/22/14 2:31pm
 Re: Unnerving POA Appointment -  JanetK_CA on 2/23/14 1:47am
 Re: Unnerving POA Appointment - Rose Covarrubias on 2/23/14 11:17am
 Thanks to everyone for your support and kind words! n/m - Karla/OR on 2/22/14 2:27pm
 Re: Unnerving POA Appointment -  MonicaFL on 2/24/14 8:09am
 Re: Unnerving POA Appointment - NVLSlady/VA on 2/24/14 10:35pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.