Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Blockchain Technology and News
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 6/12/18 12:09pm Msg #594498
Jerry Lucas wrote in part "To make things more confusing, in computer architecture, they also use the term notary. But they are referring to a computer (notary server or cybernotary) that verifies the validity and integrity of an electronic document by doing a hash calculation of the content and time stamp."

I wouldn't put it that way. If a hash has been stored in a good blockchain, or other reliable place it shows that the document that processes to that hash existed at the time it was stored in the reliable place, and hasn't been changed since. It doesn't prove the document is true, that it was signed by the person it purports to have been signed by, or anything along those lines.

Sometimes, existence is enough. Suppose I sing a song on TV and Joe Blow claims he wrote the song in 2012. I produce a PDF with sheet music and lyrics, and the hash of the PDF was published in the classified ads of the New York Times in 2005, at which time Joe Blow was 3 years old. Joe Blow's claim is defeated.

But usually mere existence on a specified date is not enough to prove the "validity and integrity" of an electronic document.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Something to seriously ponder -  Cheryl Elliott on 6/10/18 8:05am
 Resource -  Cheryl Elliott on 6/10/18 8:51am
 Source for above ... - Yoli/CA on 6/10/18 10:24am
 Wow. It looks fascinating. I can't wait to watch the entire - grapebed on 6/10/18 11:27am
 Re: Wow. It looks fascinating. I can -  Cheryl Elliott on 6/10/18 3:05pm
 Re: Something to seriously ponder - Luckydog on 6/10/18 4:04pm
 Re: Something to seriously ponder Hi Cheryl... -  Pamela/CA on 6/11/18 11:23am
 Re: Something to seriously ponder - Yoli/CA on 6/11/18 5:09pm
 Couldn't agree more. Here's another article on same thing. -  JanetK_CA on 6/11/18 5:28pm
 Your phone as well - Luckydog on 6/11/18 11:55pm
 Blockchain Security vs Cryptocurrency Exchange Security - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 6/14/18 9:13pm
 Blockchain Technology and News - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 6/11/18 3:01pm
 Re: Blockchain Technology and News.. Nice reply..... -  Pamela/CA on 6/11/18 5:00pm
 Re: Blockchain Technology and News - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 6/11/18 11:08pm
 Re: Blockchain Technology and News -  VT_Syrup on 6/12/18 12:09pm
 Hashing and Bitcoin Blockchain Algorithm - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 6/12/18 4:44pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.