Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: DropBox - Need to be careful
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 2/12/18 3:47pm Msg #589799
Seems like there are a variety of different phishing scams going around directed to notaries. There were some posts about these in the past couple of weeks. Since then, I've received another one myself with yet a different approach. The commonalities I've seen is that the messages are vague and always want you to click on something. Some of them also mention potential fees that are likely to get our attention.

Here's the latest one I received:

"Good Afternoon, We are looking for a notary agent to handle our documentations for us. We are looking to buy and sell our estate and we will be glad if you choose to work for us. We are offering $200 per any available. Kindly get back to us if you are interested."

This one sounds like it's written by someone whose primary language isn't English. It was signed with a person's name and a company name. I Googled the company and immediately found a connection to Nigeria. So they're getting more creative...

I guess that means that we need to check out whatever information we might be given before responding to emails like these - and definitely avoid clicking on anything (including Dropbox and even scandocs) unless we can confirm it's legit. If we're expecting documents (as we know, some emails with links to docs are maddeningly vague, too), we can always check with our client to confirm the method they're using to send docs and that the message was from them.

In another thread, someone mentioned something about having to be detectives, and I guess that's true anymore. Frown
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 DropBox - CJ/NY on 2/12/18 3:30pm
 Re: DropBox - Yoli/CA on 2/12/18 3:35pm
 Re: DropBox - Need to be careful -  JanetK_CA on 2/12/18 3:47pm
 Re: DropBox - Need to be careful -  Claudine Osborne on 2/13/18 9:22pm
 'Get a notary' said no r.e. agent anywhere ever n/m - Lee/AR on 2/14/18 5:24am
 That's what I feel for- the "details are in the - Linda_H/FL on 2/14/18 7:08am
 Sorry...s/b "fell for.." n/m - Linda_H/FL on 2/14/18 7:19am
 Re: That's what I feel for- the "details are in the - SteveS/CA on 2/14/18 8:18am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.