Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

During GNW last night ...
Posted by Yoli/CA of CA on 3/13/18 8:57am Msg #591030
I was called to notarize mother authorizing child to travel out of country. When I arrived at, they already had letter of authorization prepared. Mother handed me her ID. So, far everything's okay. I handed them a Jurat and an Acknowledgment, explained the difference and asked them which choose. Mother and daughter (high school senior) didn't know so they call the father, who was en route. He didn't know so he told them to call travel agent arranging this school trip. Agent talks to me and I explain that California requires notarial verbiage but that they have to tell me which they want. He says he's forwarding an example. The sample was a typed Letter of Authorization for another person. The notary involved in that sample had simply stamped the Letter and surrounding the stamp was the date and notary's signature. That's it. No verbiage. No venue. That notary's commission expires this year so s/he is not a newbie.

I'm shaking my head. In California, we must complete a 6-hour class and undergo and pass an exam in order to be commissioned. How are these people passing? Do they forget everything once they leave that exam room? I know a notarization does not validate a document. But, does an illegal notarization invalidate it?
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 During GNW last night ... - Yoli/CA on 3/13/18 8:57am
 Re: During GNW last night ... -  janCA on 3/13/18 9:03am
 Re: During GNW last night ... - Tony Einwaller on 3/13/18 1:01pm
 Welcome to NotRot, Tony! - Yoli/CA on 3/13/18 2:57pm
 Re: During GNW last night ... -  JanetK_CA on 3/13/18 10:25pm
 Re: During GNW last night ... -  Cathy/CA on 3/14/18 7:00pm
 Re: During GNW last night ... -  VT_Syrup on 3/14/18 7:27pm
 Re: During GNW last night ... -  JanetK_CA on 3/15/18 3:08pm
 Re: During GNW last night ... - HisHughness on 3/14/18 10:54pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.