Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Answers will not be the same for everyone.
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 2/6/19 2:13pm Msg #602905
Everyone's situation is different and from what I can tell so far, it all comes down to how much in itemized deductions a person can claim under new rules.

For example, do you own a home? Do you pay a lot in property taxes or home loan interest? (There are now limits on how much of those expenses can be deducted, where we used to be able to deduct ALL of it.) Do you have dependents? What other deductions can you claim? Even the number of miles driven in a year could make a difference. [BTW, we should be prepared to re-evaluate the decision to itemize vs. take the standard deduction over the next few years. I don't have details, but the so-called 'middle class' tax cuts are temporary.]

With business having slowed (or changed) for many of us in the past year, resulting in fewer miles driven, less paper purchased, etc., the standard deduction may actually prove a better deal than itemizing. However, it may be smart to still do the calculations both ways to be sure, which I plan to do. I've been in my home for a long time, so I'm not paying much in interest or property taxes anymore, so I think it may be close for me. (I'm also now debating whether or not to finally go the Turbo Tax route vs. paying an accountant. It's possible that the cost for the latter may make the difference in whether or not it's worth it to itemize.)
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Taxes- just curious - aanotary on 2/5/19 3:39pm
 Re: Taxes- just curious - Luckydog on 2/5/19 6:25pm
 I was pleasantly surprised by the increase in the standard -  MW/VA on 2/6/19 10:04am
 Answers will not be the same for everyone. -  JanetK_CA on 2/6/19 2:13pm
 Re: Answers will not be the same for everyone. -  VT_Syrup on 2/6/19 2:40pm
 I agree. Regardless of the standard deduction or itemized -  MW/VA on 2/6/19 5:23pm
 Thanks for the clarification! -  JanetK_CA on 2/6/19 9:27pm
 Re: Answers will not be the same for everyone. - droman_IL on 2/7/19 3:19pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.