Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Signing for the Deaf
Posted by  Cheryl Elliott of CA on 2/18/19 9:23am Msg #603468
How many notaries out there know how to sign for the deaf? According to statistics in America, American Sign Language is the third most used language.

http://www.signgenius.com/sign-language/how-many-deaf-people-in-usa.shtml

Did you know that 10 American presidents suffered from hearing loss?

http://www.hearingaids.com/2018/04/17/10-us-presidents-with-hearing-loss/

I bring it up because I'm encountering a lot more people whose malady is hearing loss at all ages. Some are born with no hearing, some lost is as a result of "blasting music", work environment, or part of the aging process. Some forms of hearing loss are genetic. They are hereditary and caused by gene mutations. ... Finally, gene mutations may cause several non-hearing related, hereditary conditions combined with a deformation of the inner ear, resulting in deafness at birth or later in life..

On CBS Sunday morning, there was a featured story about a little 2--yo girl in a small Massachusetts' town who was born with no hearing and diagnosed early. Many of the town dwellers learned to sign so that she could grow and be accepted in day-to-day life. If you missed it, I found this article about Samantha Savitz this morning. Her story made global news.

http://www.kmov.com/news/this--year-old-deaf-girl-loves-people--/article_15f2d78a-32ff-11e9-be3f-9f15d175ac61.html

It might be worthwhile to learn American Sign Language, as the deaf population globally is growing. My own mother was nearly 95% deaf most of her senior life. She struggled with it as she was so social and very active in philanthropic causes in her retirement years. Her hearing loss was due to mastoid as a child.

The American Society for Deaf Children is huge Coast to Coast. Deafness is growing among our own age group.

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Signing for the Deaf -  Cheryl Elliott on 2/18/19 9:23am
 Re: Signing for the Deaf - Luckydog on 2/18/19 9:49am
 It Is My Understanding That You Cannot Use An Interpreter - PegiT_MN on 2/18/19 1:06pm
 They're not blind, just deaf--they can read! n/m - Lee/AR on 2/18/19 10:02am
 I learned ASL and SEE sign in college..... - notarydi/CA on 2/18/19 10:20am
 Re: They - Luckydog on 2/18/19 11:37am
 Intrepeters may not be used in California n/m -  Cheryl Elliott on 2/18/19 12:07pm
 Deaf, Hard of Hearing Notary Guide - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 2/18/19 11:45am
 Re: Signing for the Deaf - ananotary on 2/18/19 12:30pm
 American Sign Language (ASL) Notary Directories - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 2/18/19 1:53pm
 Re: Signing for the Deaf - Anita Edwards on 2/19/19 1:09pm
 Update - Signing for the Deaf - Sandra Ray on 2/19/19 1:24pm
 SignAll Automated ASL Translation Technology - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 2/19/19 4:44pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.