Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Facial recognition could hit road blocks
Posted by  Cheryl Elliott of CA on 5/14/19 6:24am Msg #606404
I received this article this morning from the crew at morningbrew.com

I Can't Scan Your Face When I'm With You

Today, San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors could vote to ban police and other city agencies from using facial recognition to track people, the AP. It’d be the first U.S. city to do so.

Facial recognition is big business, thanks to 1) advances in AI and computer vision 2) lots of demand from vendors and 3) ample records of you cheesin’. The market is expected to be worth $9 billion a year by 2022. But it’s also controversial

Critics have concerns over bias, privacy, misuse, and general Orwellian vibes. Civil rights groups and employees have called on Big Tech to withhold facial recognition tools from Big Brother...and since no federal laws are on the books, face-tracking is stuck in the Wild West.

Zoom out: As the epicenter of tech innovation, the Bay Area is where companies move fast and break things. City officials and state lawmakers, who prefer to move slow and keep things intact, have already tried to rein in disruptive innovations like scooters and data collection. Facial recognition could be next.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Facial recognition could hit road blocks -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/14/19 6:24am
 Re: Facial recognition could hit road blocks -  Scriba/NM on 5/14/19 2:12pm
 Re: Facial recognition could hit road blocks -  JanetK_CA on 5/14/19 2:14pm
 I suppose if you're doing something wrong...... -  Scriba/NM on 5/14/19 2:42pm
 Re: I suppose if you - Luckydog on 5/14/19 6:29pm
 Re: Here's the problem - Matt Miller on 5/26/19 12:19pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.