Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Is This My Job To Oversee Split Signing Notary Work?
Posted by  Marian_in_CA of CA on 7/24/11 8:17pm Msg #391013
It's not really your job to "oversee" it... but if you notice an error... then yes, it should be pointed out.

If the notarizations took place in CA with a CA notary...then yeah, anything with "personally known to me" whether it's being recorded in another state or not, is an absolute no-no for a CA notary. Remember that provision for using out of state wording is only for acknowledgements, and ONLY if that other state requires that wording for filing (and I've yet to find on that does) and ONLY if the wording doesn't ask the CA to certify something they aren't allowed to under CA law. IMO, the occasion where it would be okay to use out of state wording is extremely rare. Too many notaries assume that if it is simply going out of state, it's okay. That's not true. It has to be REQUIRED for *filing* in that state.

If it were me, you bet I'd say something! Not only would I being it up to whoever need to know, I'd call that other notary and let them know, too. I'm weird like that, though... but I wouldn't do it out of any need to "be right" or anything... but because, despite the required education, too many CA notaries simply don't know what they're doing and I think it's important that we educate each other.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Is This My Job To Oversee Split Signing Notary Work? - NotaryMot/CA on 7/24/11 4:00pm
 P.S. - NotaryMot/CA on 7/24/11 4:07pm
 Well, not completely true -  Linda_H/FL on 7/24/11 4:36pm
 But is that the case here? -  JanetK_CA on 7/24/11 5:34pm
 I was addressing the "P.S." -  Linda_H/FL on 7/24/11 5:42pm
 I think you're right Janet...I think I mis-read it -  Linda_H/FL on 7/24/11 5:43pm
 Thank U! n/m - NotaryMot/CA on 7/24/11 7:18pm
 Re: But is that the case here? - NotaryMot/CA on 7/24/11 7:16pm
 Re: Is This My Job To Oversee Split Signing Notary Work? -  Notarysigner on 7/24/11 5:47pm
 Re: Is This My Job To Oversee Split Signing Notary Work? -  Marian_in_CA on 7/24/11 8:17pm
 Re: Is This My Job To Oversee Split Signing Notary Work? - NotaryMot/CA on 7/24/11 11:44pm
 Ah, an NNA grad. So expensively armed with so little -  Susan Fischer on 7/25/11 12:14am
 Re: Is This My Job To Oversee Split Signing Notary Work? -  Marian_in_CA on 7/25/11 12:44am
 The correct resource for accurate notary info in California -  JanetK_CA on 7/25/11 2:17am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.