Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Notary Public Background Checks
Posted by Harry [NR] of IA on 10/15/13 3:06am Msg #488158
I’m writing to share a few updates related to background checks. First, I’ve refreshed the NPBC web site. Check it out at www.notarypublicbackgroundcheck.com. If you spend a minute or two on the site, you’ll see we’re using Crimcheck.com as our background screening partner. The Crimcheck “check” is about as comprehensive as anything short of the FBI and DOJ and is used by a number of other companies. We’ve been using them for years because a) They’re good and easy to work with, b) Their services are fairly priced.

Next, the goal of NPBC is the same as it was seven years ago: to provide notaries with a cost-effective choice for screening while providing vendors, business partners, etc., both a means to request background checks directly, in addition to a platform for independent verification of third-party background checks. Despite the availability of this service, there are companies that continue to send messages to notaries, requiring the use of a specific vendor:

“Within the past few months, the majority of our lenders have asked that we only accept NNA checks. One main reason is that these are the one source we are able to verify independently.”

It is still not clear to us why vendors are spreading misinformation like this. It is clear that we offer background checks and that those checks can be verified independently. In addition, it is our contention that background checks like these are largely commodity items – they are performed essentially the same way by all companies working in the space – and that non-governmental background checks are inherently flawed, so it’s impossible to argue that one company is providing something substantially better than another.

Next, if it’s not clear from the web site, NPBC has enough flexibility to allow for integration with signing services, title companies, lenders, education and certification providers, and other listing services. We had these capabilities seven years ago when we first rolled it out. At that time, not only did we commission the background checks, but we required live identity verification, commission and insurance verification, and more. Our check was encompassing, albeit burdensome, at a time when stripped-down checks were the flavor of the day. We ran like that for a year or two before disabling the extras and scaling our check down to match the market leader. (In fact, just last year I dropped a couple hundred pounds of verification paperwork at a document destruction center.)

Where does all that leave us? Well, everyone has been receiving notifications reminiscent of the past. For reasons unknown or not clearly defined (maybe related to GLBA again, maybe related to some interpretation of Dodd-Frank, or maybe simply as a result of meetings no one else is privy to), you’re being told that you must get your background check from a single vendor and that it’s now an annual check. The same rumblings of monopolistic practices, anti-trust violations, anti-competitive behavior, collusion and class action lawsuits are speckling the Internet boards and filling our Inbox. People are angry (again) and it’s coming at a time when both work and profitability are down.

What can you do? Ask your vendors why they are unwilling to accept the NPBC certification and save their responses. If it is a verbal conversation, please note the details, date, time and the person you spoke with. Point them to the Partners page of our web site to view a sample background check. Let them know they can use the Verification page or notarycheck.com to verify our checks. Let them know about our integration capabilities. Tell them the goal of NPBC is to provide the most cost-effective, open, and acceptable background check in the industry.

What will we do? To start, I am changing our background check to reflect the Issue Date rather than a specific Expiration Date. Expiration Dates are silly and arbitrary, anyway – it’s a point-in-time check and does not necessarily speak to future behavior. (This is in response to companies that do not want to see a date more than 1 year into the future on any check.) I will also be speaking with a couple different screening companies this week, a handful of signing services, and one or two more companies to discuss reactions and additional options. Many of these companies are as upset as you are, so maybe we can all work together to find an acceptable solution.

Thanks,
Harry
Notary Rotary
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Notary Public Background Checks - Harry [NR] on 10/15/13 3:06am
 Re: Notary Public Background Checks -  Marian_in_CA on 10/15/13 4:03am
 Thank you so much for the update and info ! ! n/m -  Linda_in_IN on 10/15/13 5:33am
 Here's a portion of my *other* BGC....areas they -  Linda_H/FL on 10/15/13 5:39am
 Thank You, Harry, for your ongoing efforts! Rah Rah Rah :D n/m -  Christine/OK on 10/15/13 6:37am
 Thanks Harry! That's good enough for me! n/m -  Notarysigner on 10/15/13 8:16am
 Sounds like a good idea to challenge why as Harry suggested -  Notarysigner on 10/15/13 9:54am
 I did it myself thru LexisNexis & several would not accept - Lee/AR on 10/15/13 9:03am
 Re: Notary Public Background Checks -  A S Johnson on 10/15/13 9:56am
 If there ever was any question about the value of NotRot ... -  HisHughness on 10/15/13 10:11am
 Thanks, Harry. As always you are there for us, and I trust -  MW/VA on 10/15/13 11:03am
 I've posted this again, so more may see but.... -  Les_CO on 10/15/13 1:06pm
 Re: I've posted this again, so more may see but.... -  JanetK_CA on 10/15/13 4:58pm
 Yes, Les, that n/m -  MW/VA on 10/15/13 7:58pm
 Yes, Les, that's the same email I've been getting from a -  MW/VA on 10/15/13 7:59pm
 Re: Yes, Les, that's the same email I've been getting from a -  Les_CO on 10/16/13 9:42am
 I reviewed the NPBC's info required on the site and - Darlin_AL on 10/16/13 10:07am
 Re: Notary Public Background Checks - Sherry_CA on 10/18/13 7:58pm
 Re: Notary Public Background Checks - DUCK/CA on 11/25/13 5:48pm
 Re: Notary Public Background Checks- Harry any update n/m - C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 12/30/13 6:16am
 Re: Notary Public Background Checks- Harry any update . n/m - C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 12/30/13 6:16am
 Re: Notary Public Background Checks - Timothy Schar Mobi Notary on 2/18/19 8:49pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.