Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Update on OCT Journal Inspection requests
Posted by Marian_in_CA of CA on 4/24/14 5:37pm Msg #506607
As many of you know by now, the NNA posted an article today (written by Bill Anderson himself) addressing the journal inspection issue. I'm not sure when it happened but OCT has apparently eliminated this requirement. I have emailed correspondence from two of the VPs at OCT today who both confirm that they have suspended the practice in California. I've requested permission to post their emails, but we'll see... one of them was tad defensive, in my opinion, but he stated that the "blog" posted today had no impact on their decision. They said it was based on people who forwarded to them copies of the state statute. Now, I object to that on a level because said statue was forwarded ot them well over a year ago by Yoli and they made an exception to their policy for her a year ago. This year, they refused to work with her because she refused their request, same as she did the year before.

He also said that they never actually "looked in anyone’s log book." -- Whatever that means. Doesn't change that fact that they asked and dismissed notaries who refused to comply. BTW, in California, just asking a notary to do something you know is illegal is, in fact, illegal. So, their claim that they never actually looked is kind of pointless.

If you have been denied work with OCT because you (rightly) refused to comply with this request, I think you should contact them again and see what their current procedures are.

Notary community... this is an example of how things change, quickly, when we open our mouths and fight for what's right. Do not go along with illegal requests out of fear of not getting work. Do not comply because they have made some kind of justification about an illegal procedure being for somebody's protection. Know your state laws and do not be afraid to EDUCATE your clients and hiring parties about what is and is not acceptable in your state.

Do NOT work for companies who make illegal requests of you, no matter how seemingly small it may seem.

Thank you, Yoli, for being brave enough to bring it out when you weren't getting anyone to listen to you in official channels.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Update on OCT Journal Inspection requests - Marian_in_CA on 4/24/14 5:37pm
 Thank you, everyone, for all your support & encouragement! n/m -  Yoli/CA on 4/24/14 6:11pm
 Who is OCT? Not ringing a bell..did see the xyz thing -  Jim/AL on 4/24/14 7:41pm
 Re: Who is OCT? Not ringing a bell..did see the xyz thing - Marian_in_CA on 4/24/14 8:07pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.