Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Providing a copy of your E&O Policy?
Posted by Scott/PA of PA on 9/2/15 7:29pm Msg #537351
I have noticed lately that a lot of signing companies are demanding a copy of my E&O policy. Not the well established ones that I have been working with for years, but the ones I have never heard of before who I may work for once and never hear from again.

I have always been advised to NEVER give out any copies of any E&O policy because there is really no reason for them to have it. I have E&O, I let my customers know I do, I refuse to disclose the policy limit and have never provided a copy to anyone. I still have all the work I can handle.

My question is why would anyone I work for want a copy of a policy that only protects me and can not benefit them or protect them in any way? The only thing I can think of is that it is documentation that I have "deep pockets" in the event of any litigation. It could potentially open me up to litigation if I disclosed my coverage amounts and insurance provider. A smart attorney would know what insurance companies fight and what ones settle so a lawsuit could be custom designed to my coverage and policy limits.

Is there a reason everyone wants a copy of my E&O policy that I don't know about? It doesn't protect anyone but me so I am confused why they want this so bad. E&O isn't even required in PA (but is recommended). Also, why do some demand it and some never ask for it? Why do some say they have to have it then call me back later and say they got approval to "waive that requirement for me" when no other notaries are available?

Maybe i'm just paranoid but...
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Providing a copy of your E&O Policy? - Scott/PA on 9/2/15 7:29pm
 Re: Providing a copy of your E&O Policy? - Lee/AR on 9/2/15 7:50pm
 Agree w/others. Have no idea what I was thinking before. - Lee/AR on 9/3/15 10:25am
 Re: Providing a copy of your E&O Policy? - Luckydog on 9/2/15 9:04pm
 Whats the harm providing a copy of E&O Policy? n/m -  John/CT on 9/2/15 9:39pm
 This is a pretty standard request n/m - ananotary on 9/2/15 9:54pm
 I have no problem providing a copy... -  Linda_H/FL on 9/3/15 8:16am
 I think you misunderstand the concept of E&O. Yes, you're -  MW/VA on 9/3/15 8:45am
 Re: Providing a copy of your E&O Policy? - Katmet on 9/3/15 8:49am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.