Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Texas Deed Needing to be Signed/Witnessed in Oregon
Posted by Karla/OR of OR on 7/23/16 1:53am Msg #556683
Hello. Need advice.

Century Tree Investments, LLC emailed me earlier this week needing a Texas DEED notarized. The signing party is here in Oregon and knows no one here apparently that can be a witness on the doc. They offered that I could be one of the two required witnesses since the doc will be recorded in Texas, not Oregon, and that is how notaries do it there. I explained I can not notarize AND be a witness on the same doc per our SOS. I said I would be glad to notarize it if the signer can provide the two witnesses. They would not accept my explanation so I finally referred them to our SOS office.

They emailed me again today, apparently finally understanding what I told them, and said,
"I have contacted the seller and explained he will need to obtain two witnesses. I suggested he meet with you maybe in a Starbucks or something where he can pull two people."

Pull two people???!!! Seriously??!!

Our Notary Handbook addresses credible witnesses in a situation where a signer does not have proper ID, but not my scenario. Probably because it is so absurd!!! The SOS office was closed today by the time I read the email. I need to reply to their email before the SOS office is open again on Monday.

I say no can do with pulling two strangers at Starbucks to witness the document signing. What do you say?

TIA
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Texas Deed Needing to be Signed/Witnessed in Oregon - Karla/OR on 7/23/16 1:53am
 Re: Texas Deed Needing to be Signed/Witnessed in Oregon -  VT_Syrup on 7/23/16 5:00am
 to me...it's the signer's decision as to - notarydi/CA on 7/23/16 8:15am
 I'm on first name basis - notarydi/CA on 7/23/16 8:21am
 Present it just like that to the signers.. -  Linda_H/FL on 7/23/16 8:25am
 Re: I sent the link to to Oregon Notary Book Yesterday -  OR on 7/23/16 8:21am
 And when you do a signing for out-of-state property -  Linda_H/FL on 7/23/16 8:28am
 Re: And when you do a signing for out-of-state property - BearPaw/CO on 7/23/16 12:26pm
 Thanks, Linda. I've done signings for FL properties that -  MW/VA on 7/23/16 1:58pm
 Re: Texas Deed Needing to be Signed/Witnessed in Oregon - LKT/CA on 7/23/16 2:00pm
 Agree & like Linda's answer, too. -  JanetK_CA on 7/23/16 2:07pm
 Re: Texas Deed Needing to be Signed/Witnessed in Oregon - Karla/OR on 7/23/16 6:57pm
 There's no witness requirement in TX "by law." -  BrendaTx on 7/24/16 1:49pm
 PAW NOTARY COMMENTS ON WITNESSES... -  BrendaTx on 7/24/16 1:51pm
 Oops...sorry for the yelling SMH n/m -  BrendaTx on 7/24/16 1:51pm
 Please note this is from 2011 -  Linda_H/FL on 7/24/16 2:20pm
 Vuwriter.com is current--that was my source. -  BrendaTx on 7/24/16 3:15pm
 Corrected...Vuwriter.com is current--that was my source. -  BrendaTx on 7/24/16 3:24pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.