Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

I would have sat there until the cows came home ......
Posted by BearPaw/CO of CO on 4/27/17 7:48pm Msg #574357
...... waiting for her to produce something that showed this MI before proceeding. Anything: a tax return, utility card, insurance papers, concealed carry permit, soc sec card, medicare card, military ID, hunting/fishing license, marriage license/divorce decree, BC, 20-year old expired PP, anything. I am NOT by any means a stickler that IDs and names on docs must match (I am not aware of any law that says such a thing ...?). But when docs introduce a whole new name for which borrower has absolutely no ID, I pretty much draw the line. (And in my experience, as it generally turns out, it was for the best because it was most often a doc/name mistake anyway.)

I also definitely do not buy into "who else would it be and am I convinced and all comfy that the person in front of me is who they say they are?" I don't have the faintest idea who is sitting in front of me. I'm there as a notary. I need ID and, if necessary, supporting documents that can account for name on docs. If they want someone who feels good that the person is who they say they are, go hire the bag boy. He can feel as satisfactorily convinced just as well as I can.

Also, much of this also depends on your state law and if your certs allow you note ID issues.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 What would you do? -  walthtz on 4/27/17 6:26pm
 Re: What would you do? -  Teresa/FL on 4/27/17 7:02pm
 I would have sat there until the cows came home ...... - BearPaw/CO on 4/27/17 7:48pm
 Re: What would you do? - Luckydog on 4/27/17 8:38pm
 Re: What would you do? -  VT_Syrup on 4/28/17 6:07am
 Right on, then there are the folks whose sigs are a scrawl -  Cheryl Elliott on 4/28/17 8:09am
 Re: Right on, then there are the folks whose sigs are a scrawl -  JanetK_CA on 4/29/17 4:24pm
 I agree. IMO some notaries don't really understand the -  MW/VA on 4/28/17 8:58am
 Re: I agree. IMO some notaries don -  janCA on 4/28/17 9:10am
 Re: I agree. IMO some notaries don -  janCA on 4/28/17 9:14am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.