Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: New Notary Public
Posted by Don Courtney of CA on 10/12/17 2:03pm Msg #584628
I recommend that you write a comprehensive marketing plan first. Then start to implement your marketing plan and update as you gain experience and gain knowledge.

Some ideas that should be included in your marketing plan:
1. Internet presence - make a list of web sites where potential customers can find you. NR rules prohibit me giving you a list, but think about how you search for services. Ask friends, neighbors or anyone you respect how they search, and where. Then go about creating your listings. Many are free for a basic listing, others can cost hundreds or thousands per year. Learn about how search engines work and fine tune your listings often. Key word concepts take time to learn but are critical to your business. Consider hiring a SBO firm to optimize your web presence if you can afford it.

2. Direct solicitation - Make a list of business sources that you would consider your top local potential clients. I spent several months of "pounding the pavement" and calling on these high value potential clients once a month. Keep notes on who you speak to and revise your list as you learn more about these sources. Escrow Officers, Attorneys, Accountants, Assisted Living facilities
are all good potential sources of business.

3. Networking - There are many ways to network and vary by location. Membership groups such as
Local Merchant Associations, Rotary International, Optimists and Kiwanis are a few examples. Web searches for groups in your city will help you decide where to focus your time. In short, the more people you know, and that know that you are a Notary, the more business you will get. This takes time and perseverance, there is no instant on/off switch.

4. Other Notaries - These are your competitors so they will not give out all their secrets, but I have found it very helpful to know other Notaries in the area. We have a small informal group that meets for lunch every month or two and compare notes and information. We also refer jobs to each others when we are unavailable, on vacation etc.

I wish you good luck. Business is down for all notaries right now, but there is business to be had. If you are not willing and able to commit to a long term marketing plan you will not be successful.
The first two lines in my marketing plan are: 1. Be in it for the long term & 2. Be the best at your chosen profession.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 New Notary Public - Jonathan Mosley on 10/12/17 2:15am
 it's too early for popcorn n/m - Lee/AR on 10/12/17 6:39am
 Re: New Notary Public - Susan Littlefield on 10/12/17 7:44am
 Welcome to the industry Jonathan. It's a cyclical business & -  Christine/OK on 10/12/17 7:51am
 Re: New Notary Public -  Cheryl Elliott on 10/12/17 8:41am
 too early for wine as well.....I agree w/Lee n/m - notarydi/CA on 10/12/17 9:02am
 Re: too early for wine as well.....speaking of wine -  Cheryl Elliott on 10/12/17 9:09am
 Stags Leap....don't know how badly damaged - Bear900/CA on 10/12/17 10:59am
 Re: New Notary Public - NVLSlady/VA on 10/12/17 9:20am
 Re: New Notary Public - rengel/CA on 10/12/17 9:23am
 "My question is where to start?" - Bear900/CA on 10/12/17 10:49am
 Yellow Brick Road (YBR) - Yes, seems to be the one paved - NVLSlady/VA on 10/12/17 1:14pm
 Re: New Notary Public - Don Courtney on 10/12/17 2:03pm
 Re: New Notary Public -  JanetK_CA on 10/12/17 3:59pm
 Re: New Notary Public -  John/CT on 10/13/17 11:34am
 Re: New Notary Public - Expeditor on 10/13/17 2:18pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.