Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

California online electronic journals - can't support this.
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 8/6/18 2:41pm Msg #596833
Sorry, Eva, but I don't believe I can support this proposal because of the recommendation for 'cloud' storage. I'm not an expert on that, but I do know enough to understand that it's fairly easy for a tech savvy person to set up a cloud storage system and probably pretty difficult to determine what kind of security is provided there. Also, on it's face, it goes contrary to the requirement that a CA notary maintain a journal under their "exclusive control".

By way of example, the company I use for my occasional IT needs offers their business clients their own in-house cloud service. They're a fairly small, local operation, with just a handful of employees. I know the owners so I know enough to have trusted them with servicing my pc the couple of times I've needed it, but even with them, I wouldn't feel comfortable having them store my highly sensitive journal data. Not only have I not personally checked out every person there who has access to their cloud servers, our state law doesn't allow that.

I get that you're trying to change that, but the way your petition is written, it doesn't offer or require any new assurances that this data will be kept secure. I believe that the need for notaries to protect people's non-public personal info is greater than ever. My bias is that switching this type of data collection shouldn't come on the leading edge of technology. It will likely happen some day, but hopefully we'll have much, much more secure data collection and protection technologies by then. If and when we get there, I'll be able to fully support this idea, but not before.

Personally, if I needed a document notarized and the notary was using this type of journal today, I'd go find another notary...
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 California online electronic journals - Eva Torres on 8/6/18 1:07pm
 Re: California online electronic journals -  VT_Syrup on 8/6/18 1:32pm
 California online electronic journals - can't support this. -  JanetK_CA on 8/6/18 2:41pm
 I know CA law is different in many ways, but I also believe -  MW/VA on 8/6/18 3:05pm
 Re: I know CA law is different in many ways, but I also believe - Luckydog on 8/6/18 4:47pm
 Re: California online electronic journals - rengel/CA on 8/6/18 5:07pm
 Re: California online electronic journals -  Expeditor on 8/8/18 11:56am
 Re: California online electronic journals -  VT_Syrup on 8/8/18 12:06pm
 If the Co clerk rejected them - rengel/CA on 8/8/18 6:45pm
 Re: California online electronic journals - Ron Fedele on 1/17/22 4:08pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.