Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: When I purchased my new Dell laptop last year
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 3/15/19 5:38pm Msg #604370
You might also want to take a look at Libre Office, which is a spinoff from Open Office, created by some members of the team that originally worked on Open Office.

Quick history lesson - Open Office was originally developed by a German company and acquired by Sun Microsystems to be an in-house alternative to Microsoft Office. Sun then released it to the public about a year later as a free open-source alternative to Microsoft Office. Sun was later acquired by Oracle, which in 2011 discontinued development on Open Office, fired the development team, and donated the project to Apache Software, its current owner. Apache has done very little additional development; the latest version was released in 2016.

Some members of the development team regrouped and started developing Libre Office, using the open-source code as a jumping off point. Libre Office is still being developed and the latest version was released last year.

I've used both, and I prefer Libre Office because a) it feels like more thought went into it, and b) it's still being actively supported. Both are virtually MS Office clones, both handle just about any file format you can throw at them, and both are totally free.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 MS Office 365 right around the corner -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/14/19 8:57am
 Re: MS Office 365 Why Pay? - Clem/CA on 3/14/19 9:23am
 Re: MS Office 365 Why Pay? -  Dennis_IN on 3/14/19 9:54am
 Re: MS Office 365 Why Pay? - EJC/LA on 3/14/19 10:36am
 Re: Why Pay? WOW, great list of - LJCA on 3/14/19 1:09pm
 LibreOffice vs Open Office -  VT_Syrup on 3/17/19 8:36pm
 Re: MS Office 365 right around the corner - LJCA on 3/14/19 12:07pm
 Great info from all above! Thanks!! n/m -  JanetK_CA on 3/14/19 2:24pm
 When I purchased my new Dell laptop last year -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/15/19 8:32am
 Re: When I purchased my new Dell laptop last year - MikeC/TX on 3/15/19 5:38pm
 good to know, thanks Mike n/m -  sigtogo/OR on 3/15/19 8:50pm
 Re: When I purchased my new Dell laptop last year -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/16/19 4:31pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.