Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Bank Required Thumbprint on POA Document
Posted by ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas of CO on 5/19/19 11:42am Msg #606554
I notarized a financial POA at a nursing home for a senior citizen. He was able to understand and talk but was too weak to sign his name, so we used a signature by proxy. Colorado law allows a disabled person who is physically unable to sign to direct another person to sign for them. The notary adds wording to the document to show that it was signed under the direction of the disabled person.

The appointed agent, a family member, took the POA to the bank and the bank refused to accept it, although it was signed and notarized correctly, according to the law. The bank insisted that the principal's thumbprint must be added to the document to satisfy them. Colorado RULONA notary law does not have a procedure for a signature by mark, seal or thumbprint. Signature by proxy CRS 24-21-509 is used.

So, the agent scheduled a second notary appointment and I performed exactly the same notary procedure. The agent then added the principal's thumbprint in the margin of the POA. The bank only accepted the POA with the thumbprint.

This seems to be disability discrimination, requiring a disabled person to take extra steps that are not required for a non-disabled person, and extra expense by requiring a second appointment with the mobile notary.

Has anyone else seen a requirement for a thumbprint on a power of attorney?
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Bank Required Thumbprint on POA Document - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 5/19/19 11:42am
 Re: Bank Required Thumbprint on POA Document -  JanetK_CA on 5/19/19 1:54pm
 Re: Bank Required Thumbprint on POA Document - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 5/19/19 9:46pm
 Re: Elder Financial Abuse - Carolyn Bodley on 5/20/19 10:35am
 The bank's have their own rules. I can see where they'd -  MW/VA on 5/19/19 4:22pm
 Re: I don’t see it as disability discrimination - Carolyn Bodley on 5/19/19 5:47pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.