Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

And the scams? keep coming-this one almost hooked me in
Posted by  Linda_TN of IN on 6/22/19 1:30pm Msg #607818
I got the email below (copied under the asterisks) earlier today, and was just about to respond asking for a return phone call when my spidey senses said something wasn't right. So I re-read the email and did a little digging.
- I am in TN, not TX.
- Closing is referenced as taking place "here in TX" (OK, could be honest type or mistake). But no specific place in TX mentioned.
- The grammar seemed off, very casual, very . . . something
- No signature line in the email whatsoever, professional or personal. Just "Thanks"
- the only Mary Soong-Brock I could find via Google was a realtor. But in New York, not Texas. There was nothing on LinkedIn under that name.
- The syntax of the message didn't sit with me.
- Although a perfectly good email software, I don't know of many realtors that use hotmail as their professional email.
- The raw message data had the message being sent at Sat, 22 Jun 2019 15:56:57 +0000, and if I'm reading the cryptic code correctly, there was a reference to a Europe based Outlook version. It was timed into my email at 11:56. OK, my internet says that could be a good time, but still . . .

Yes, it may be legitimate, and I may be passing up the opportunity of a lifetime, but it sounds too good to be true. Not enough details for me. Call me silly, stupid, too cautious, but I think I'll pass.

******EMAIL RECEIVED***********
FROM: Mary Soong-Brock <mary.realtorithacahomes4u@hotmail.com>
To: notary@adamsmobilenotaryservice.com

Jun 22 at 11:56 AM

Hello,

I was actually searching for a notary agent Urgently for my up coming closing here in TX next week...... Please get back to me if you will be available so that i can have the closing document send to you in a secure email.

Thank you.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 And the scams? keep coming-this one almost hooked me in -  Linda_TN on 6/22/19 1:30pm
 Ouch! Glad you caught it - Luckydog on 6/22/19 2:25pm
 Re: And the scams? keep coming-this one almost hooked me in - Yoli/CA on 6/22/19 2:42pm
 Re: And the scams? keep coming-this one almost hooked me in -  JanetK_CA on 6/22/19 3:45pm
 danger of some emails - Art_MD on 6/22/19 4:59pm
 Same text, different sender, different state. -  Ernest__CT on 6/22/19 5:26pm
 And another. This time supposedly from Square ... - Yoli/CA on 6/22/19 7:36pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.