Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: I guess you missed the part after that announcement about
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 1/13/18 6:33pm Msg #71398
Walmart is shedding 10,000 jobs by closing these stores. The $1000 bonus is only available to those who already make at least $11/hr, and it's on a sliding scale - you need to be there 20 years to get the full $1000. What they're "giving back" to the employees pales in comparison to what the tax cut will save them.

I really think that some corporations are embarrassed and have seen a need to at least give the APPEARANCE that the tax cut gift they just got will trickle down to employees. Bonuses are a one-time thing, and the company gets to write them off on their taxes. Any increase in pay will be passed on to the consumer - the company is NOT going to hold prices steady in the face of rising costs; that additional money in the paycheck will just translate to higher prices. So who wins here? Nobody. Economics 101.

Walmart's minimum wage was already $10/hr after training, so the bump is not that impressive. Get it up to $15/hr minimum, and now you're talking a minimal living wage. But then we'd have to pay a lot more for that junk they source from China because they won't cut their profit. Again, Economics 101.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Walmart boosts pay for one million US workers, - FGX/NJ on 1/11/18 8:43am
 I guess you missed the part after that announcement about - MikeC/TX on 1/11/18 5:26pm
 Re: I guess you missed the part after that announcement about - MikeC/TX on 1/13/18 6:33pm
 Re: I guess you missed the part after that announcement about -  canotaryhere on 1/16/18 9:29am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.