Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

I read an interesting article on this years ago...
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 3/2/17 9:10pm Msg #28404
The premise was, generally speaking, that our world really isn't any more dangerous than it used to be - or even than it's always been. What HAS changed, the author claimed, is our 24-hour news cycle and the fact that anytime anything happens anywhere in the world, we hear about it and see first hand coverage - sometimes even live. I think the author had a point. This was before the worldwide increase in terrorism and the more recent increase in hate crimes., which has undoubtedly ratcheted things up, but I don't think completely negates the point.

For example, when I was growing up, no one thought a thing about kids going "out to play". We just had to be home by dinner time, but all the kids in the neighborhood roamed all over the place without supervision for hours at a time. If there was an abduction in the next state, no one heard about it. But now, we have Amber Alerts and Facebook and we're brought front and center to nearly every conflict. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I believe it helps to keep things in perspective.

I admit I've been lucky, but I'd prefer to not think of our world as "violent". I'm not denying that violence exists, but I think we risk perpetuating it by focusing on it so much. I still believe that most people are good (although imperfect) and have the same basic desires. Doesn't mean that we shouldn't be careful and use good sense but I'd rather not be motivated by fear. Wink

[BTW, I don't mean this to be directed to anyone in particular, but this discussion just reminded me.]
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 shortest shopping trip ever..... - notarydi/CA on 3/1/17 10:38pm
 A long way from our duck and cover cold war drills - Bear900/CA on 3/2/17 12:39am
 Most of us are not trained to look over our shoulder at all -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/2/17 7:33am
 That's interesting & a bit unnerving, but we live in a -  MW/VA on 3/2/17 8:07am
 I read an interesting article on this years ago... -  JanetK_CA on 3/2/17 9:10pm
 We are all out off condition/training for what to do in the -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/2/17 9:56am
 Re: shortest shopping trip ever..... - MikeC/TX on 3/2/17 5:47pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.