Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Making a raised bed garden quick and simple
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 3/11/17 1:56am Msg #28446
This is for a 4x8 garden bed but can also be two 4x4 beds if transporting wood pieces is a problem.

1. At Big box store- pick out three 8 inch x 8 foot cheap untreated pine boards. Have one cut in half.
2. Pick one 4 x4 post and have four 12 inch pieces cut. You're done with the wood! If you cannot fit 8 foot boards in your vehicle hsve yhem cut in half and make 4ft x 4ft beds. Will need an extra 8 inch by 8 ft board to make two smaller beds.

3. Nail or screw the boards outside of the 4x4 posts not to each other so all 4x4 posts are inside the box. The extra 4 inches can be buried or you can cut to 8 inch posts and not bury anything.

4. Pick a sunny spot for the bed and try to have the 8 feet length go north and south so all plants get full sun.

5. Need to clear weeds or lawn? Don't. Use cardboard boxes under the bed. Weeds and grass will eventually compost as will the cardboard. This will also attract worms. Google 'sheet composting for more information.

6. Now just fill the beds. Use inexpensive compost material. Beef it up with a sack of 'composted chicken manure'. Add some worm castings and perlite. Try using compost with fish bone meal, kelp, and bat guano. Its is all good. If you can afford adding Dr Earth vegetable mix to your planter holes you will notice a difference.

7. The mycrorhyzal and coir are just options. You can research the benefits.

8. Square foot gardening is just what it sounds like. I marked off one foot along each board all the way down and planted within that square foot sometimes 1, 2 or 3 or more plants depending on size. In a 4x8 bed you have 32 square feet and can easily put in 40 to 50 plants.

9. Okay, what about tomatoes? Think outside the box, literally. Or...FYI, I am planting 7 tomatoes along one side of the bed and using just one Sq foot per plant. Google 'single stem' plants to see how. I am akso planting 4 squash and cucumbers on the 4 foot side. These will be pruned and grown vertically using string and a home-made trellis. Keep it simple and cheap but notice what you can fit in a 4x8 ft bed!

Lastly - planting tomatoes. I purchased them in 6 inch pots not smaller and here's why. The total height of the stem and root ball was about 18 inches. I planted them 17 inches into the ground. Cut off everything except for the very top crown. You should have about 1 inch above the ground. The remaining 11 inch stem will grow roots for a healthier plant. In 2 days my plants are 2 inches above ground and the leaves have spread 2 more inches. I'm using some potent stuff but it will still work. You can plant more shallow if this scares you.

You can do all this in the ground of course. Last year I used considerable water and time weeding. With the raised bed and coir cover the amount of water is extremely low so far. I am adding drip on a timer connected to my faucet to keep it simplereal yet to water. Enjoy!

Now, add your favorite gardening tips to your marketing newsletter this Spring! Smile
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Garden tips - getting started! - Bear900/CA on 3/11/17 12:55am
 Making a raised bed garden quick and simple - Bear900/CA on 3/11/17 1:56am
 Re: Making a raised bed garden quick and simple -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/11/17 12:33pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.