Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Spoofing’s Not a Joke: Thousands Hit by Phone Scam
Posted by Luckydog of FL on 4/17/17 10:06pm Msg #28566
It's amazing to me how really smart people fall for this.

True story, right before I left my doorman job on weekend, and very successful businessman told me he was scammed in a similar matter. He had something wrong with his Facebook account or something and googled facebook, and guess what? It was a spoof website that took him for about $125.00 (out of $250.00) in i-tune gift cards they made him purchase as a deposit to send to them before they would fix it. Not sure of the details. He rushed down to the Dollar general and bought only half the $125.00, and called, and then when they found out that he didn't have the rest, sent him back for the remainder. The clerk talked to him, and thank God he didn't buy the rest. They called the police, and filled out a report, and the GM at Dollar General was so nice, reimbursed him for the used i-tunes cards and he got his money back. He got lucky, most are not.

Not only are these phone scams, they are also phony websites. You really have to be sharp. Who knows what is going to happen in another 20 years...scary.

As far as Gov. grant money or winning a lottery...unless you actively participated in registering how can you win? Common sense.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Spoofing’s Not a Joke: Thousands Hit by Phone Scam -  Cari on 4/17/17 8:32pm
 Re: Spoofing’s Not a Joke: Thousands Hit by Phone Scam - Luckydog on 4/17/17 10:06pm
 Re: Spoofing’s Not a Joke: Thousands Hit by Phone Scam - rengel/CA on 4/19/17 11:53pm
 Re: Spoofing’s Not a Joke: Thousands Hit by Phone Scam - Luckydog on 4/20/17 10:47am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.