Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

The flu shot was for a certain strain.
Posted by NVLSlady/VA of VA on 2/12/18 9:32pm Msg #30006
Yes, that's what I read in Time mag while sitting in doc office couple of weeks ago (then, there was that dreaded sign-in pen. Gross.)

There isn't a universal flu vaccine. Pros do their best to predict which strain will likely circulate most widely in a given year . . . and then the egg-based concoctions get underway; the problem is the strain that's targeted vs. the one that actually spreads, as pointed out.

Eggs can be tailored dozens of different ways but this process is definitely not foolproof!

Offices, hospitals, retail establishments, particularly where food is served, . . . spas, exercise facilities, places of worship and anywhere with large public interaction really have to step up and educate workers (one nurse can't do it all!).

A suggestion was made at our worship to simply STAY AT HOME until fully recovered from illnesses. Not foolproof either - just socially responsible. Who wants to hear, "Yeah, I've been laid up with something {cough} {cough} for over a week, but I'm feeling some better now"? All the while, hacking from the depths of Hades... Mamas cover up your babes!

Bring on the UV-C light, which has shorter wave lengths to supposedly squash microbes/viruses without damaging skin or eyes.*

Incidentally, I inquired about flu concerns while at my scheduled appt and staff not too worried (no one had masks on!); they were running around drawing blood samples like any 'ole day in the life of medicine. Biggest trauma that day was an elderly patient who apparently slipped coming into the center and got bruised some, but fortunately was alright. As for that disgusting pen on the counter, I'm like, "Can't believe people are still using that!" Right, lady. Just hush and sit down until Dr. C is ready for you. Would absolutely HATE to have to go to hospital for any reason right now.

*Google David Brenner (Center for Radiological Research, Columbia University)
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Why isn't the flu shot working? -  Cheryl Elliott on 2/12/18 9:40am
 Re: Why isn - Yoli/CA on 2/12/18 3:26pm
 Re: Why isn -  JanetK_CA on 2/12/18 4:02pm
 It's epidemic here, like many places. What they failed to -  MW/VA on 2/12/18 3:56pm
 The flu shot was for a certain strain. - NVLSlady/VA on 2/12/18 9:32pm
 Re: The flu shot was for a certain strain. -  Claudine Osborne on 2/13/18 9:37pm
 Re: The flu shot was for a certain strain. -  JanetK_CA on 2/14/18 7:40pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.