Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Does anyone know the requirements for a marriage in Mexico?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by Stoli on 6/16/11 5:11pm
Msg #386505

I received this e-mail requesting further information:
Hola Maria Que Tal?
I have a lady that wants to get married in Cabo who was advised to get both her and her fiance's BC's translated and Apostilled. Do you have any experience with these types of situations?

I'm concerned that the documents might require a consulate notarization (Legalization) and translation by an approved translator by the Mexican Consulate. In your experience, do Mexican civil registry judges accept generic translations or do they need to be from a certified translator?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

I'm not absolutely sure of the answer and thought I would ask for assistance.

Thanks.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 6/16/11 5:25pm
Msg #386511

My husband offiated at a wedding in Zihuatanejo a few years ago. I believe they have to have a civil ceremony, after which they can have their religious ceremony.They should consult the consulate for further information.

Reply by A S Johnson on 6/16/11 5:25pm
Msg #386512

Ask her ttravel agent.
Call the hotel/resort in Cabo they ar staying, they should know. This will not be thier 1st time.

Reply by Larry Adams on 6/16/11 5:27pm
Msg #386513

Don't have all the answers, but IF the BC's have to be translated into Spanish, it must be done by a CERTIFIED translator, not just anyone. There are translation services in all major cities in California.

Best bet is to check on the requirements with the nearest Mexican consulate (San Francisco, Los Angeles, maybe San Diego, Sacramento?)

Reply by Stoli on 6/16/11 5:34pm
Msg #386514

You guys are great! I copied your responses and sent on. TNX n/m

Reply by Stoli on 6/16/11 5:48pm
Msg #386516

The client said that you guys are AWESOME! n/m

Reply by SouthernOK on 6/16/11 8:17pm
Msg #386542

What my brother in law did...

My brother-in-law got married almost 5 years ago in Mexico. They had a civil ceremony here in the states, then went to Mexico and had the "public" wedding.

Getting married in Mexico if memory serves me correctly will not be a legal marriage in the states. This may have changed now so call around to get current facts.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/16/11 8:32pm
Msg #386544

Currently, one man and one woman.

That mixture, though, may have a limited shelf life, in light of how things are moving nowadays.

Hope this has helped.

Reply by Stoli on 6/16/11 9:42pm
Msg #386554

Thanks, guys. I passed along the information. Good comments n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 6/16/11 9:53pm
Msg #386556

Need certified translation?

http://www.newworldlanguages.com/translations.html

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/17/11 12:25am
Msg #386563

Re: Need certified translation?

Good site...thanks

Reply by Les_CO on 6/17/11 9:42am
Msg #386585

The major hotels in Mexico do marriages all the time, especially the ‘all inclusive’ resort type places. They can arrange it. Most that travel to Mexico today have a passport and some other ID. All your friends need to do is go to the nearest notary (or have the hotel call) and the notary can perform the ceremony, and give them a legal certificate. Different States may have different laws (like we do here) best to check with the hotel, or their travel agent. I would guess all States here in the US recognize a Mexican marriage (CO does) but I don’t know for sure.

Reply by Les_CO on 6/17/11 11:43am
Msg #386626

PS

http://palmilla.oneandonlyresorts.com/celebrationsandevents/weddings.aspx?cid=PaidSearch_Google_US&gclid=CK3uuK6wvakCFSUZQgodiApHfA

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.