Think you have loyalty with TC (or SS)?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by jba/fl on 6/23/11 6:20pm
Msg #387462

Think again.

Longtime working relationship with a company came to an end this am. I have never been able to download from their website, and this order was no different. Could get all the way in, click on pdf icon and all that would happen was a blank screen pop up.

Their resident geek and I went through all the troubleshooting steps, as per our history and finally the scheduler called me to say they would not email the docs (which they have always done in the past) and she was reassigning the signing. When I asked if there was not some other remedy, she suggested I get a new computer.

Poof! Gone.

But, when I stop to think of it, that is ok. They used to pay $150, now down to way less so I have to stay in my neighborhood. They do have some accounts that I just cannot do - $80 - and I feel that this current client of theirs is probably going that way as well. It is so dicey these days.

So everyone is hurting - across the board. Notaries either get in line with some of these businesses or chance getting their fee only to find they don't get paid. And playing nice doesn't always pay either anymore.

~Sigh~

Reply by notary365MI on 6/23/11 6:41pm
Msg #387466

The response to you trying to work with them was "get a new computer?" Wow!

Reply by Notarysigner on 6/23/11 6:50pm
Msg #387469

THAT response was from someone who obviously had their parents buy them their computer. There was a reason they called you in the first place and it wasn't because you could access their website!

Reply by garland/CA on 6/23/11 6:58pm
Msg #387472

maybe "pop-ups" need to be temporarily disabled?

I had an issue with printing docs from a site, and finally it was resolved when I allowed pop-ups. (had same problem when I clicked on "print docs".

Reply by jba/fl on 6/23/11 7:04pm
Msg #387475

Of course they were disabled - how else would their

stupid window "pop up".

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/23/11 7:06pm
Msg #387477

The blank pop up screen is java issue, my guess. n/m

Reply by garland/CA on 6/24/11 10:28am
Msg #387534

maybe I didn't say it right...

I meant when a message bar prompts you to temporarily allow pop-ups.

It helped me - and that was when a title company didn't want to send me the docs themselves - they don't always want the extra work.

Was just trying to be helpful...

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/23/11 7:02pm
Msg #387474

Sorry to hear that...

and, just for grins, here's my frustration checklist:

-check to make sure some [unnecessary?] new update to Windows isn't hovering around hoping to install. If it is, make it happen, otherwise:
-close all files in the proper way, then
-kill every possible program in the proper way.
-open a browser and go to the sites to update Adobe Flash and Java, then restart your computer.
-when all else fails, use a late version of the Evil Empire's Internet Explorer.
-make sure that you allow pop ups on that site; if you change a setting, close out your browser and re-open it.
-restart again.

Close, open, restart overkill?

Perhaps. Two years ago I was out of the shutdown and restart business, I thought. Recently, it's back like the plague.

I wrestle with secure websites at work to download "top secret" documents...Java and Flash updates are evil !$!#$%$s!!!! I work closely with the IT guys, in fact, I was their wing man during a recent migration from one set of servers to new ones...even got administrator status on coworkers' machines because they were so swamped and needed one more arm to get people up and running. 9 times out of 10--especially on XP machines--restarting the machine as many as four times brought forth the cure so that we could get the person logged onto the shared area.

The machines were all fine when it started, but funny things have been happening that even the geeks cannot explain...it's likely not your machine, it is some kind of update or Active X program that your machine requires that is required to use the site that you are trying to get into.

Reply by jba/fl on 6/23/11 7:23pm
Msg #387479

OK, ok, ok - my frustration level is very low right now

and you have opened yourself up to some of my ire as well.

I wrote that their resident geek and I had gone through everything; what I didn't write, is that another person on this site worked with me all night and most of the morning to assist me in getting what I needed, as they had previously had the problem as well, and shared, step by step, on what to do, when, and how to do it. All this, plus several reboots, including hard shutdown, before I got in touch with their resident geek. Then we had many more step by step processes.

I did not just lie down like a door mat, sob uncontrollably and seek out no solutions. My computer geek - Momma Motherboard (of Orlando) is very on top of my lifeline to my business world as well and I have extensive experience with computers from DOS through today, including some COBOL and FORTRAN programming. I keep almost nothing on my computer except games that came with it and just recently facebook, which was added after my problems with these folks began. I hate clutter, etc., etc., etc..

So grins or not, I am not amused today. My vent, sorry. Nothing personal meant by it. The other thing that really got me, is their unwillingness to explore anything else as the signing isn't even until Fri. evening and I was just trying to head off the problems early. In the future, the borrower can suffer? Not a good solution, and neither is getting a new computer.

Again, nothing personal Brenda and other person I forgot who - Garland?

Plus - my eggs were all destroyed overnight.

Reply by BrendaTx on 6/23/11 8:30pm
Msg #387488

Wow, Jules. I have similar geek experience, but still

these things occasionally escape me.

What's the usual remark we make? Don't post if you don't want input?

Reply by jba/fl on 6/23/11 9:19pm
Msg #387494

I'm calmer now and yes, you are correct. These obvious

things sometimes do escape our attention. Just today Marion made reference to her "blond moment" and who would have thunk it? As for wanting input - I really didn't on this part of the issue. That was not my thrust. My headline was the thrust of the post: Loyalty.

Some here think that loyalty will keep the company returning. It will, to a point. This post of mine had nothing to do with anything except loyalty - that was the title. It really could be a companion piece to what KSMO has been saying to Sylvia and others today - it is all bottom line in business; loyalty is non-existent.

Or, only to a point, but now everyone is feeling the crunch of the bottom line and one either adapts or one is left by the side of the road. The real mistake here was that I wanted to resolve the problem in advance of crunch time on Fri. afternoon. They didn't want to waste the resources to troubleshoot beyond the basics. They were intractable on emailing docs so they cut their losses post haste and I was one of the losses of the day.

And that is their right to do so. And I am ok with it. I was on my way to getting rid of them as part of my bottom line as I had stated. They just made it happen sooner, and with such a lame reason.

And I get a longer week-end now, which I want.

Reply by SharonH/OH on 6/23/11 7:21pm
Msg #387478

Makes me think back to my first major client, one of the few with whom I had signed a contract. I got a lot of business from them. For about two years they emailed pdf docs. Then they got a new website for docs that I had to sign on with -- first time I tried to use it, my computer totally crashed, from which it never recovered. Hubby was able to recover most of my data, but the system never worked right after that. I ended up being the one to cancel my contract with them, after having to buy a new computer. Hopefully they eventually got the bugs out of their system, but I wasn't waiting around to find out and have that happen again!

Reply by Larry/IL on 6/23/11 8:38pm
Msg #387490

Sounds like there might be others reasons they will not work with her anymore.

Reply by notary365MI on 6/23/11 8:48pm
Msg #387491

Sounds like other reasons they might not work with her? WTH?

Just wondering how you read BETWEEN the lines she posted? Of course there could be others reasons, the MOST OBVIOUS is that they found a LOWBALL SA to do the job! Always one, and you turned out to be IT! WOW!

Reply by jba/fl on 6/23/11 9:26pm
Msg #387495

Larry - After reading all about you on your profile, I really expected more than tedium from you. You disappoint on several levels.

Reply by MW/VA on 6/23/11 8:09pm
Msg #387483

I'm always reminded of the story about "atta-boys" and "aww-shits". It take only one "aww-shit" to wipe out all the "atta-boys".
Ridiculous, too, because they could have emailed the docs pdf. Many cos. have found that's what works bests.
LOL--Buy a new computer with the reduced fees. That's a good one. LOL

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 6/23/11 10:24pm
Msg #387503

"There is no loyalty in this business"

When I was a desperate newbie back in the Flintstone Age, I would occasionally seek much-needed advice and guidance from ubernotary Kelly Robertson, late of NR and of another chat board. I'll never forget when she told me: "There is no loyalty in this business." I found that shocking and totally scary and sad. But, gawd, was she right. And the sooner NSAs accept that, knowing exactly what it means, the better off they'll be, personally and professionally. It's good to vent as you did and share your story, but now you move on and if you do look back, it will only be to think about what you might have done better/different to salvage the situation - if there was anything more you could have done. It's hard right now cos it still stings. But in no time at all, you'll be saying the heck with them. Who knows? They may actually call you back one day. I wouldn't be surprised.

P.S. Totally off topic: Another great pointer she gave me: Never quote your fee if and when asked. Always respond: "How much can you pay?" Or "What's the most you can pay?" Nine times out of ten, I'm always offered more than my base $XXX fee. (The other day, though, it came back to bite me. The SS guy responded: "I asked you first.")

Reply by jba/fl on 6/23/11 10:47pm
Msg #387505

Re: "There is no loyalty in this business"

"I asked you first."

ROFL - so very funny. Never got that yet. Did that stop you cold for a moment? Or did you just reply $500?

Priceless!

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 6/24/11 12:06am
Msg #387513

Never Negotiate Against Yourself

When you are called the 1st time and you are asked: " What are your fees/charges/etc"
always respond with:

1. What do you normally pay for this assignment?

I have been in our industry for over 9 years and if they say: Well we pay $75-$150 I immediately stop them and say $150 is good.

If they say I asked you first: then I say "you called me and what are you offerring"?

This is from Jack Welch's book who was CEO of GE for years. ever nogitiage against yourself.

Reply by HisHughness on 6/24/11 2:42am
Msg #387517

Re: Never Negotiate Against Yourself

***ever nogitiage against yourself.***

And never finish a really big glass of wine while you're posting on NotRot. It'llyXXX Il'tlXXX It'll bieteXXX ouyXXX bite yuppXXX you eevryXXX evertXXX every...

Aw hell jus' don't do it.

Reply by MikeC/NY on 6/24/11 5:13pm
Msg #387595

Basic negotiation skills

"P.S. Totally off topic: Another great pointer she gave me: Never quote your fee if and when asked. Always respond: "How much can you pay?" Or "What's the most you can pay?" Nine times out of ten, I'm always offered more than my base $XXX fee. (The other day, though, it came back to bite me. The SS guy responded: "I asked you first.")"

The first one to quote a price is the loser, and smart negotiators know this.

One of my favorite show is "Pawn Stars" (on History Channel), and they demonstrate this time and again - first question they ask after determining that that person wants to sell is always "So how much do you want for it?" 9 times out of 10, the seller blinks first...

And even if the other party insists that you go first, you can still win - give them a number you know they'll never go for (high or low, depending on the situation), see what they come back with, and then work towards the number YOU want...

Reply by ikando on 6/24/11 10:31pm
Msg #387636

Re: Basic negotiation skills

But they never come back with a negotiable figure. They say, "I'll have to get that approved"...then don't.

Reply by Les_CO on 6/24/11 9:36am
Msg #387527

It sounds to me like “someone”…”they” went to a great deal of trouble to and try and help you. Perhaps you should consider their position? It’s almost EOM, they may be busy, they may have 26 closings scheduled, they are waiting on most of those docs, and the scheduled notaries are waiting on those docs, some re-scheduling to be done, some appointments to be changed, lots of calls. They have 25 notaries across the country that are using their site with no problem, and many that use it every day with no problem….and then there’s you…….Having a problem obviously with your equipment, and you expect THEM to fix it? If not THEY are disloyal? What am I missing here? I’m not trying to be harsh….and I have hit more than one keyboard and computer with a three pound hammer (good excuse to get a new one) so I KNOW what it’s like when some unknown glitch happens, but how is this “their” fault?

Reply by LauriecPA on 6/24/11 5:08pm
Msg #387594

Re: Sounds like TRG n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 6/24/11 11:09pm
Msg #387643

It was TRG - search gave me some insight

I know I'm not the only one and that this has been an ongoing problem with them.
Msg #365515 really brought it home. I was active in that thread, plus others but hadn't been hit with their "rulings" yet. My turn finally came. I was a bit sad to see this go, but they were on their last legs with me already.

So today, 2 came to replace the one....how's that for providence?

Reply by NotaryQueenB on 7/19/11 12:47pm
Msg #390179

To JBA:
Maybe you do need a new computer and/or a new printer. You should stop bashing companies when clearly it is not the company's fault that you cannot print.

When you are writing negative posts all along the board, maybe other notaries should stop and think.. hmm maybe its just a disgruntled notary and defaming a SS/TC in a public forum isn't the right place to release your emotions.

-sigh-

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.