Notary Rotary
"We need a W-9" legit excuse? or
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to June, 2011 Index

Posted by Blueink_TN on 6/12/11 7:58am
Msg #385986

just another payment delay. I wait 30 days for payment before I start the chase. Recently I was told (after 2 calls & 3 emails) that I need to send my W-2 THEN I will be placed in line for payment. This is a 4 star company. An email from them requesting my W-9 at the time of the signing would have been nice.

BTW, when I was asked to return to the borrowers for a trailing doc - I asked about payment on the original signing and was told "that check already went out." No mention of needing a W-9 then(?) Lies.

My list of acceptable companies to work for just got shorter - post it size now actually. Just like a pyramid scheme, the last one's holding the bag when the company folds, loses.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 6/12/11 8:05am
Msg #385987

Possibly a delaying tactic - possibly true

I automatically send a W-9 to a new-to-me company with my invoice thus heading off THAT excuse for delay in payment. I figure most if not all companies are going to require it so send it on..

Considering they had a couple chances to say something I'd say either someone didn't know or with a little luck they were really really busy and merely forgot to mention it.

I'd send it on with a short note saying okay, here it is...maybe give a drop dead date for receipt of check if it's outside your "net" time period - depending on whether you want to alienate this company or not...

JMO

Reply by Virginia/PA on 6/12/11 9:04am
Msg #385992

It's difficult to "remember" if you've sent a W-9 to a particular company out of hundreds if not thousands of companies, especially if you could have done so many years ago and then they only used you once since then. Relying on them to tell you results in what happened in this case. They do need a W-9 to pay - a federal law I believe. And they too have a difficult time "remembering" if they've received a W-9 from hundreds if not thousands of notaries, especially if they could have hired you many years ago and then they only used you once since then.

If anyone has a simple method of keeping track of who did and did not receive your W-9, please share it. I believe signing companies have software progams to keep track. I don't know if title companies have software or not. To my knowledge, I don't know of any software that keeps track of W-9 submissions for notaries. I tried a couple of programs over the years, but they were more cumbersome than their worth and I don't believe the W-9 issue was involved in what they tracked.

Reply by JulieD/KS on 6/12/11 12:31pm
Msg #386003

I make a habit of faxing it whenever I fax an invoice...and I make a note on my invoice that I also faxed the W9.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.