Notary Rotary
Here We Go - Yet Another Year With More Weird Questions
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to January, 2012 Index

Posted by Scriba/NM on 1/1/12 10:39pm
Msg #408005

Maybe after 13 years in this business and literally thousands of loans, I'm getting (more) curmudgeonly. But, when I see the questions getting dumber and dumber in these posts, I increasingly worry about the quality of the so-called notaries entering this business. Waaaaahhhhh - I didn't get paid! Oh, I had a "stressful signing", I want to ask for $5 more - Give me a break!- Really? Are you nuts? Every signing is not perfect! Some can be horrible. I've done some that were crazy! You power on through it - it's the business we're in!

My docs didn't print correctly and I don't know what I am doing......what do I do? Someone was "mean" to me - Waaaahhhhh! What's the standard signing fee? - I need to know the secret because I don't know how to run a business or what to charge. I'm lazy and want high-paying jobs to fall in my lap - Why isn't that happening to me?

Well people, this is a business - just like any other. It has its learning curve. You have to WORK at it. Try READING these posts for a while before complaining about anything! LEARN what you are supposed to be doing before posting ramdom blither about your poor "feelings." No one cares about your "feelings" in this business. Mr. Rogers isn't around anymore.

Loans are being approved. They are farmed out to ........ you for signing (scary thought). Your job is to get them excuted and returned for funding. End of story. Cut out all the waaaaaahhhhhh stuff. Honestly, no one really cares a fig. Put your payment issues into Signing Central where they will the most good. Try actually READING Signing Central BEFORE accepting a job (novel idea huh?).

You accept a job. Man (or woman) up! Do the job you accepted - no whining. If you don't like what happened, you didn't get paid, you got paid late, you couldn't print the docs, your piece of crap computer or cheap printer won't work, solve the problem yourself. If you can't operate on your own, why are you even attempting to do loan signings? How do you get through life on your own? Maybe you can post to other people who can't cope also?

If you accepted pauper wages for the job, don't do it again. Even (most) children, when burned by the stove, won't put their hand on it again.....but then again some never answered when they called out Brains (and thought they said Trains) and you missed yours. This job is not a charitable institution run by some government entity. It's your business. Take hold of it and run it like one or apply at McDonalds, where someone will have a simple game plan already written out for you to follow - usually in two languages. The Manager will be sure watch over you.

Have a Happy 2012 standing on your own two feet like a business person - you'll feel good.

Reply by Karla/OR on 1/1/12 10:55pm
Msg #408008

Aren't you just Mr. Sunshine! Did your Momma not tell you

to keep your mouth shut if you had nothing nice to say? We are a 'family' of notaries here on this forum (I thought anyway) to support each other. I don't appreciate treating another 'family' member like they are dirt.

Things can be said in a much nicer way as "Lee" did below?

Thank you!

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/1/12 11:14pm
Msg #408012

It's not about treating people like dirt.

Families often have to use "tough love" to straighten out another family member. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. I don't know how long you've been an NSA, but you need to be strong and tough to compete. If you can't stand the heat, you should get out of the kitchen.

Reply by Scriba/NM on 1/2/12 12:42am
Msg #408016

It's difficult to support inept and lazy. n/m

Reply by Scriba/NM on 1/2/12 12:50am
Msg #408018

Re: Aren't you just Mr. Sunshine! Did your Momma not tell you

Yes, that's the problem Karla. Keep your mouth shut and continue to commiserate with all of the silly drivel presented by people not willing to learn the business. If you want a hobby with all of the nicities I suggest a church social group, where everyone can bring a cake and have nice conversation. This is business. Start acting like it. Enough Waaaaahhhhhhh.

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 1/2/12 10:11am
Msg #408027

Ralph, thanks for the wonderful 5-star post

Too bad the truth hurts your feelings so much Karla.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/2/12 5:55pm
Msg #408051

Re: Aren't you just Mr. Sunshine! Did your Momma not tell you

Karla, my advice to you and others who found Ralph's post offensive is get get yourself a suit of armor or grow a thick skin, then get past verbiage that may sound a little rough to get to what may be of value in the contents. And I believe there is much of value in Ralph's post for anyone who seriously wants to be successful in this - or any other business.

Let's face it: in any business where you deal with the public, you will have tough challenges to deal with of all types. We are all independent, self-employed individuals - and competitors, in many cases, so I think Ralph is right on point with most, if not all, of what he says.

Yes, it often seems like we're something of a "family" here on this forum, but don't be deceived. This forum is for "Professional Notaries Public" and it's a place where professionals communicate on miscellaneous issues relevant to our profession. As I see it, that implies some degree of all ready acquired professionalism. The big reason, imo, that it often seems like a "family" here is because some of us have been posting here for many, many years - and some members have become friends both on and off this board. Also, many NotRot members have earned respect over the years because of the contributions (wisdom, knowledge, humor, perspective or whatever) that they've brought here, and that has contributed to the feeling of family. As a result, there's a great deal of "how do" information available, since Notary Rotary has been kind enough to maintain an archive of previous posts.

The vast majority of the most respected posters here started out by taking responsibility for their own businesses from the beginning and acquired those qualities via hard work and effort. They never expected it to be spoon fed to them by someone else - unless they paid for someone else's expertise to get trained. In the real world, this kind of benefit doesn't come for free. And sugar-coating things isn't doing anyone any favors. Ralph may not have put things as sweetly as some may have liked, but I believe those who take his advice to heart will be much better off.

There are no tests or preconditions for new people to come here and participate and take advantage of the abundance that's offered on this forum (or present themselves as experts whether or not that's the case Wink), but that doesn't mean that this should take the place of doing their own homework. We've seen literally hundreds of newbies come here asking for shortcuts but it seems that the ones who do hardly ever come back.

Having said all that, sometimes we just need a place to vent about our experiences and challenges among others who can relate... I guess that should apply just as much to seasoned "curmudgeons" as to newer people who are running into difficulties. Wink

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 1/2/12 9:02pm
Msg #408066

I was going to respond but Janet hit it on the head! n/m

Reply by Buddy Young on 1/1/12 10:55pm
Msg #408009

Re: Feel better now, Ralph??? n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 1/1/12 11:03pm
Msg #408010

Ralph, thanks for being in the "real world". Business ownership is tough! Entrepreneurship is tough! The problem is that not everybody is cut out to be an entrepreneur. Many new people think that this is a quick and easy way to make a buck! Some of the people I see tell me it's nice that I can make my own hours. While that's true, I also like to eat and pay my bills.
Happy New Year!

Reply by cal2az on 1/2/12 11:20pm
Msg #408076

I agree. It's not at all personal, it's business.

Reply by HisHughness on 1/1/12 11:07pm
Msg #408011

Hmmm...constipated again I see, Ralph. n/m

Reply by Scriba/NM on 1/2/12 12:44am
Msg #408017

Not So Much - You'd probably know more about that. n/m

Reply by HisHughness on 1/2/12 1:24am
Msg #408019

Re: Not So Much - You'd probably know more about that.

Is that an oblique way of saying I'm full of it?

Reply by MW/VA on 1/2/12 8:30am
Msg #408021

Well said. I'll toast to that. IMO it would be good advice

for most of America, not just those in this profession.
BTW, I love the "waaaaahhhhh" references--so true! LOL

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 1/2/12 8:37am
Msg #408022

LOL Ralph...if those posts bothered you...

I can't wait to see what happens when the tax questions start flowing, as they do every year, with the inevitable posters INSISTING that they do NOT have to pay taxes on their notary income...

This should be interesting...Smile

Happy New Year.

Reply by Frank/NC on 1/2/12 9:22am
Msg #408023

Time to renew the prescriptions for the meds or maybe increase the dosage.
By the way, my docs didn't print. Does it matter that the printer isn't plugged in?

Reply by Eve/VA on 1/3/12 7:51am
Msg #408083

Too Funny Frank! n/m

Reply by Karla/OR on 1/2/12 9:01pm
Msg #408065

I have been doing this long enough to see a pattern here on Not/Rot: many of you react REPEATEDLY like this every time a newbie comes along. You come across like rabid dog waiting for its next victim.

Just saying, I don't feel it is necessary to get your points across in a harsh tone when it can be said in a more professional direct manner. Trust me, your harshness is not going to scare people away, so what's the point of it? Does it make you feel like you need a cigarette afterwards? Do you get satisfaction out of intimidating others?

Some people act like you in retaliation for being treated the same way sometime in their life. Or is it that you are just so darn miserable that it feels good to slam someone? And another point, most people are so reticent to say such things in person. Here behind Not/Rot you act rudely. So, so sad.

Thank you to all the Not/Rot's who truly make a difference on this site. You know who you are.

Reply by 1Notary1 on 1/2/12 10:05pm
Msg #408071

Well said Karla/OR, couldn't have said it better myself. People like that are just misareble and enjoy putting people down, they try to anyway. I just ignore those individuals.

Reply by Karla/OR on 1/3/12 1:27am
Msg #408079

Thanks 1Notary1! Glad to be in good company with you! n/m

Reply by Eve/VA on 1/3/12 7:52am
Msg #408084

Well said Karla n/m

Reply by Karla/OR on 1/3/12 12:23pm
Msg #408114

Thanks Eve! n/m

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 1/3/12 9:22pm
Msg #408164

Wow..How sad that someone has to be that nasty to try and get a point across! Yes this is business and in my business I am much more diplomatic when asked a question that I think may be silly. You can answer posts from newbies or others without being vicious!
If you don't like the questions or comments you can just skip past reading them..that simple!

I know many people are afraid to post anything here because of people like you..they have come here for learning and yes sometimes its maddening answering the same questions..But if you feel that way..please dont anwer their questions..Nobody should be treated that way! How about some respect for fellow notaries or for people in general?

Reply by jba/fl on 1/2/12 11:50pm
Msg #408077

Great post Ralph....Happy New Year to you as well as everyon

else.

I've just had the most wonderful start to my 2012 and hope everyone else did also. Now, it is back to business, where I will make decisions based upon MY bottom line and how it will best grow my business. Will put on shark suit in the morning. Did you ever notice that sharks always appear to be smiling? LOL

If I have a rotten experience I will most likely tell you about it as 1. it helps to share to find solutions to possibly avoid the situation in the future and 2. it is a teaching tool for another. Sometimes when I do this (and I am seldom seeking commiseration) it is to show that even experienced people run into jerks/perverts/idiots/__________(fill in the blank) and we are flabbergasted/enraged/shocked/dismayed/________________(again, fill in the blank). It is a lesson in "grace under pressure" that sometimes we find doesn't go smoothly.

My boss is dismayed I am up past midnight - so to all a good night. Oh, I'm the boss, the best there is! I love being my own boss - hope you do too.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 1/3/12 2:02pm
Msg #408129

Well put, Ralph n/m

Reply by Eve/VA on 1/5/12 11:37am
Msg #408242

Let's see if I understand this ...

You criticize folks, most of whom, are seeking answers to honest questions. They seem like no-brainer questions to you because, after all, you were born knowing everything.

In the meantime, you actually expect people to waste their valuable time reading your long rant about NOTHING. To what constructive end? I didn't see anything informative or relative about your post.

This forum is for everyone. Get over it. If you want to belong to a high school bullying group, get a room.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 1/5/12 5:32pm
Msg #408300

Re: Let's see if I understand this ...

"I didn't see anything informative or relative about your post."

Personally, I saw a lot that I felt was relevant and informative - even though it was delivered very differently than I hope I would have chosen to do. But like I said above, we all need to vent from time to time, and Ralph has as much a right to do that as anyone else. Those who took his post personally, completely missed his point and missed out on some good advice that was buried in there. Wink

Of course none of us were born knowing everything. The difference lies in our attitudes and approaches to learning and growing as a business owner. First, you have to realize that you're a business owner and not an employee. That means the buck stops with you and you don't have a boss whose job it is to train you or motivate you, etc. I think Ralph's point was about personal accountability.

For most of us old-timers on this board, who have managed to survive in this business through some very tough times, it never would have even occurred to us in the beginning to try to find answers to some "honest questions" by expecting our competitors or would-be peers to provide them for us. (I say "would-be" because until someone has schooled themselves in the basics and the "no-brainer" stuff, they're not a peer!) Others may not have started out with that type of thinking but because of straight talk like what's been posted here - diplomatically or otherwise - they've learned to toughen up and take responsibility for their own business. That doesn't mean they never ask questions. It might mean they learn to lose what Ralph calls the "waaaaahhhh" kind of thinking. Wink

My understanding of his point is that the business world is a tough place and if someone wants to survive as a self-employed, independent contractor, they need to develop a thick skin, and learn to think differently.

Reply by Eve/VA on 1/6/12 10:51am
Msg #408359

I stand corrected

: )

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.