Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Do you remember where you were 50 years ago today?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by jba/fl on 11/22/13 9:16am
Msg #493665

I was in Home Ec class and just got permission to go to the bathroom. Met someone in the hallway, heard the news, never made it back to class.

Reply by Kat2857/CA on 11/22/13 9:23am
Msg #493666

I remember my 1st grade teacher received a call in class, when she hung up she started crying. Then she told us and then we all started to cry.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/22/13 9:24am
Msg #493667

7th Grade Civics class - announcement came over the PA system and we were sent home.

Reply by 101livescan on 11/22/13 9:31am
Msg #493668

Ventura High School, a sophomore, lunch hour, I worked in the school cafeteria as a cashier.

Everyone was crying as the PA system announced the shooting of JFK in the motorcade in Dallas that day. Surreal. Then Oswald was killed, it was unbelievable at the turn of events. The world stopped, listened, cried, mourned. Jacqueline Kennedy was stoic.

Oliver Stone maintains it was a government conspiracy to take out JFK, but really, it was this ugly little communist man, 30 years old who bought a $21 shotgun through mail order who shot Kennedy from the library tower, no conspiracy can be confirmed. Oliver is making a movie, I think Rob Lowe will play the president.

I remember that the coverage was on every channel, as the funeral unfolded and when little John saluted his father at the gravesite, I just lost it. The saddest event of our history, until 911.

Reply by Notarysigner on 11/22/13 9:45am
Msg #493670

Working at Philip Flax's Art supply store in the stock room. It was across from Union Square in downtown San Francisco. Lunchtime EVERYBODY CRYING in the park....Very sad day.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/22/13 9:56am
Msg #493671

I wasn't even born yet *ducks*

Buy my Mom was a freshman in high school... Smile

Reply by CJ on 11/22/13 10:26am
Msg #493676

I was four, but I remember it.

I remember dad was sitting in front of the TV, crying, while watching the funeral. I wanted to watch cartoons. I remember seeing the draped casket in the cart being pulled along. I started changing the channels to look for cartoons, and even though I was turning the dial to different channels, the image of the casket in the cart remained undisturbed on the screen. The funeral was on EVERY channel. I said, "What happened?" What is this on the TV?" Dad said, "The president died." I thought, "Poor George Washington".

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 11/22/13 8:06pm
Msg #493773

Re: I wasn't even born yet

So was mine - except it was middle for them (3 yrs Jr. High; 3 yrs H.S.)

Reply by MW/VA on 11/22/13 10:25am
Msg #493674

Yes, like many I was at school when the news came over

the PA system. It was such a shock to a young generation. We were also dealing with the Vietnam War. It was a time of turmoil.
I remember watching the funeral on TV. It was such a sad time.

Reply by bagger on 11/22/13 11:12am
Msg #493692

Sophomore in HS, but I was off that day (Catholic School).
Was shooting baskets in the driveway when my father came running out of the garage with the news.
Spent the rest of the day in front of the TV with Cronkite.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 11/22/13 11:18am
Msg #493694

not born...he he... n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/22/13 11:19am
Msg #493695

I asked my husband this question - very freaky answer

he was home sick from school - he was reading "PT109".

Reply by CH2inCA on 11/22/13 11:31am
Msg #493697

Oddly I do remember, I was five

my dad came home from work. Our economics were such that dad NEVER came home from work. Later he told me that it wasn't so much that he'd left work because of the president's death, he'd have continued working even in sadness; but that he'd found it impossible to work for his bosses because of their 'gladness' toward the assassination. I can't even imagine someone being glad about something like that.

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/22/13 11:35am
Msg #493698

yes, first grade at group violin lesson

It was announced over the PA to the entire school, we all knelt in prayer (Catholic grade school).

My dad also cried watching the funeral on tv.

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/22/13 12:23pm
Msg #493704

Sorry, I was in 3rd grade n/m

Reply by DD/OR on 11/22/13 12:29pm
Msg #493708

I had just come home with a bag of groceries. I passed by the TV and turned it on. I continued to the kitchen to put the groceries away. From the kitchen, I heard them say something about the president being shot. I thought it was an old movie about President Lincoln. I went into the living room and looked at the TV and then I realized they were talking about President Kennedy. I had to sit down. I was shocked.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/22/13 12:54pm
Msg #493713

Here's a little known fact. Two great writers also died...

on this day 50 years ago: CS Lewis and Aldous Huxley

This is a really interesting (and slightly long) read:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/03/three-great-men-died-that-day-jfk-c-s-lewis-and-aldous-huxley.html

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/22/13 4:14pm
Msg #493739

I was standing at my locker at my junior high school between classes. I'll never forget the guy who told me. He had a goofy grin on his face and I always believed it was because he was able to be the first to pass on the news. (In those days - and until very recently - it never occurred to me that anyone could be happy about that, although I still don't think he was.)

I remember being stunned and motionless, probably in shock. I don't think we knew yet that he had died and I remember believing that somehow they would be able to save him because that just didn't happen to Presidents. The next few days were filled with lots of somber, hushed tones, and quiet time glued in front of the TV. That day represented a loss of innocence for many of us and the beginning of a very turbulent decade.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.