Notary Rotary
FYI: Latest post on Annual BGC for SPW by XYZ
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Christine/OK on 11/7/13 6:07am
Msg #491710

http://www.nationalnotary.org/bulletin/bulletin_articles/new_standards_annual_background_screenings.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=BULETN&utm_campaign=A51406&utm_content=link1

Reply by MW/VA on 11/7/13 7:26am
Msg #491711

This is just more about the "standards" that they have set

up. Who got the idea in the first place that notaries are criminals? I know you can't get a VA Notary Commission if you've been convicted of a felony. The bs from NNA continues. Blahhhhh!

Reply by desktopfull on 11/7/13 12:24pm
Msg #491774

"standards" that they have set for us, when they should be

setting "standards" for themselves. This week alone I've had closings for borrower's that weren't even notified that they had even been approved for their loan until I called to confirm their appointment for closing (meaning they never set an appointment with the borrower in the first place). Another never reviewed the HUD or any of the closing charges with borrower. Another wasn't told that they needed funds to close. Another wasn't told that their non-borrowing spouse needed to sign the docs for their residence, in fact was told the spouse didn't need to be there and guess what she went on a vacation out of state. Maybe they need to work on getting their job together before casting stones at others.

Reply by desktopfull on 11/7/13 12:33pm
Msg #491777

Re: "standards" that they have set for us, when they should be

Here's another one: How about looking for a NSA more than 45 minutes before the time the closing appointment and then getting upset when you're told that we can't make it happen.

Reply by BobtheElder on 11/8/13 5:41am
Msg #491928

Re: "standards" that they have set for us, when they should be

I quit accepting signings like that a few years ago. If they can't call me the day before, or at least several hours before, there will usually be other things wrong too...

Reply by CarolF/NC on 11/7/13 8:01am
Msg #491713

Just my useless thoughts....

"Going forward, the SPW will be approving multiple vendors to provide certification and background screening for Notaries. Each lender and title company can choose whatever background screening vendor(s) it wants to work with. Their freedom to choose means that some lenders may only accept background screenings from certain vendors, or they may accept a background check from any vendor that meets all of the searches as recommended by the Standards."

My thoughts here is that the point system is BS and that we need to pressure the lenders to accept any background screening that includes all of the outlined components so that we are only spending money on one.

So far, although a company may have requested a certain BGC, I have submitted the one I have and they have accepted it. I suppose this is going to depend on whether they need you to handle their files or if they find a notary who is willing to jump through all the hoops.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 11/7/13 8:04am
Msg #491714

Re: Just my useless thoughts....

From talking with many notaries across the country, experienced notaries who have been signing for years with companies are not willing to comply with anything in the SPW. Maybe some of us will just retire and leave the business. Maybe this will be the exodus of the experienced notary leaving the new, inexperienced notary who is going to comply with all these standards and take the low fees to handle the signings.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 11/7/13 8:31am
Msg #491716

I am not the author of this. It is a Re-Post

Is the new NNA certification like Obama-care for notaries? Notaries across the nation are complaining about the new NNA certification for NNA signing agents. Instead of having to take it every two years, you have to pass an annual test. The certification includes background screening too, which is yet another thing that notaries don’t know if they need. E&O insurance is yet another part of the program. Perhaps we all learn from each other. Is it wrong to require it? The big issue here is that many Title companies allegedly will require notaries to have this new certification, otherwise they won’t hire the notary. If Title companies would really stick to this standard, then notaries would be forced to get the new NNA package just like Americans are going to be forced to get health insurance at potentially sky high prices against their will. Should you get it? Don’t ask me! Ask the Title companies how they feel. It would be very hard for all Title companies to enforce this rigid standard. When they are in a pinch, they might not have enough notaries to get their jobs done. I think that NNA has always had a collaboration with Title companies about their certification. I feel that nothing is new. I feel their package has some good components that notaries should ideally have — but, it shouldn’t be sold under coercion like it is now!

Reply by jba/fl on 11/7/13 8:57am
Msg #491723

If you are not the author, you need to credit the original

author. That is only fair; otherwise, it is plagiarism.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/7/13 9:32am
Msg #491734

That's been my position. I've let cos. who have contacted

me know that my bgc from here on NR is the only one I will provide. You'd be surprised to know how many cos. are clueless that the NNA is behind all this. We have a voice & need to use it.

Reply by CJ on 11/7/13 10:06am
Msg #491743

It's interesting that they think we are borderline criminals

Anyone reading NR on a regular basis would know that notaries, as a whole, are some of the pickiest, most legalistic people I know. Everyone here is always being the spellcheck police, the grammar police, and now in this thread, the footnote police. WE are not the problems. Who came up with those convoluted pick-a-payment loans? Not the notaries. Who is the state requiring to report elder abuse? The notaries. We are the good guys. We are always telling each other on this forum when there is anything fishy about the id, DON'T DO IT! Some notaries here do the sleuthing and track down evil SS with they reappear under a new name. We tend to be the whistle blowers. Do loan officers, title people and signing services also have to get a background check? I don't know, but they are more links in the chain.

Reply by CJ on 11/7/13 10:08am
Msg #491744

On the other hand, maybe XYZ is just projecting.

Maybe they are suspicious of what we might do if we could get away with it. No one here is trying to get away with anything. It's XYZ that can't be trusted (in my eyes).

Reply by MW/VA on 11/7/13 11:00am
Msg #491762

That's the major point of contention. XYZ cannot be

trusted based on my experience with them.

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/7/13 11:15am
Msg #491765

So, Multiple clients means multiple BGCs to buy

I, like all of you, do signings for multiple lenders and multiple title companies and in order to continue I will need to purchase a BGC for each lender or title company. Even if all major lenders and title companies' choice of vendors were, say 3, then each year, I would have to purchase 3 BGCs.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.