Notary Rotary
For NNA members or those who care, NNA E&O story
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by Belinda/CA on 11/25/13 11:16am
Msg #493992

After calling and writing the NNA about their requirement that you purchase your E&O through them or it shows you have no E&O coverage, it appears changes are a comin’. After writing and calling Bill Anderson about this blatant misrepresentation of the notaries who pay to be on their site I am assured a solution has been reached and will be implemented soon. Let’s not hold our breath or expect it to be to our satisfaction quite yet. I am curious to see what they have come up with. What loophole they can find that still tries to force us to purchase their insurance throughout the industry like they are doing with their background checks. The solutions they have offered so far are not acceptable.

Hopefully the anti-NNA clan can resist telling us we should not be a part of this group. Blah blah blah. I am a member and since I am I will not be treated this way. I purchased several years membership at one time and will ride out my membership and see what happens.

Many of you are members of the NNA. Many of you are closet members :o). This is blatant misconduct on their part toward those who pay to be part of the association. Several of you have commented this is old news and are bored with the topic. To many of us this is new news and I won’t stand for it. Why have you who are members stood by and not insisted on change? I do not see how you can keep from blowing up the inboxes and phone lines with demands to fix this willful punishment for noncompliance to their wishes that we purchase their insurance exclusively.

Here is where you write or call:
“Our team is working on updating the signing agent site but has not informed us, how it will be changed or when it will be changed. Thank you for your feedback, we accept and forward all feedback to improve our site and service. If you have any further questions you may contact our customer service department at 800-876-6827. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 6:00am PST to 5:00pm PST, with limited hours on most weekday holidays. You may also contact us again via email at [e-mail address].

If you need further description of what is happening on your profile with them let me know and I’ll post more to explain.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/25/13 11:21am
Msg #493994

I too am a member...and have experienced this

when I questioned it was told "well, you didn't get it through us so we don't list it"

It's this kind of misrepresentation that leads me to "well, I'm a member - NOW - but won't be in the future". These kinds of issues are WHY people say we shouldn't belong - we pay them to misrepresent us.

JMO

Reply by Darlin_AL on 11/25/13 11:46am
Msg #493998

ditto for me and I did include my comlaints in emails &

a call I made on Fri. I have my "list" ready for the grand-opening of the spw's promised "signing agent input" committee. (picture film footage of a little monkey doing something w/paperwork ha ha)
I'm not a closet member & joined for all the reasons that it's a good business move for someone who was not established as a "mobile", and will most likely continue the membership.
There are some very childish suggestions/posts/comments railing at the xyz, and I would suggest putting on your business owner's hat. Change can come from the inside and outside; be a member or not. Same reason I'm a premier member here: it's a good business move (especially if NR can get the fax working for me, or tell me what I can try on my end.) And, as I say, this is the BEST forum.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 11/25/13 11:48am
Msg #494000

Re: ditto is for belinda--not quick enough on the draw! n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/25/13 11:53am
Msg #494001

that's what I did - joined to help recharge my business

that had been down for about 16 months while I worked full time for a local attorney..

Can't say any of the work I've gotten is a direct result of that membership - the only thing that IS a direct result is their BGC - one of my favorite companies required it.

We shall see in the future.

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/25/13 12:01pm
Msg #494002

Merchant Bonding Co.

NNA member for 5 years, expires 12/10/2013.

I've purchased E & O thru the NNA during this time, they use Merchant Bonding Co. I wonder if can purchase the identical policy directly from MBO and submit it to the NNA if they would take it. If not, I think there is a problem with THAT picture.

I called BackgroundsOnline, the company the NNA uses to obtain their BGCs, to see if I could purchase directly from them hoping to avoid giving the NNA another dime....the answer was no.

Reply by Doris_CO on 11/25/13 1:52pm
Msg #494014

Re: Merchant Bonding Co.

NR sells Merchant Bonding Co. E&O insurance, probably at the same price as NNA or less.

Reply by Lee/AR on 11/25/13 2:17pm
Msg #494018

No, Merchant Bonding Co. website refers you to nna

Or, at least, it did 3 years ago when my commission was renewed. I had originally gone thru MB when I got my first commission in AR.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 11/25/13 4:03pm
Msg #494029

Isn't Merchant Bonding owned by NNA? Seems like someone

mentioned that on this site not long ago.

Would explain a lot.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 11/25/13 4:07pm
Msg #494030

I don't think NNA owns them. Can't find that anywhere.

Maybe Fidelity.
Someone has looked it up and told us once before. Maybe they will chime in.

Reply by Lee/AR on 11/25/13 4:40pm
Msg #494031

Didn't say it was owned by NNA. They work with them.

Here's the Merchants Bonding website. Click on the 'Notary Link' upper left.
http://www.merchantsbonding.com/pages/commercial_bonds

Reply by Belinda/CA on 11/25/13 9:26pm
Msg #494081

No, it was someone else who said it. n/m

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/25/13 12:17pm
Msg #494003

I am a member & purchase my E&O insurance elsewhere n/m

Reply by Alz on 11/25/13 12:22pm
Msg #494004

Ditto! n/m

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/25/13 5:30pm
Msg #494038

Merchant Bonding Co. does not cover all states n/m

Reply by Lee/AR on 11/25/13 12:47pm
Msg #494006

Way to go, Belinda!

It's way past time to take them to task. Let's get that e-mail/phone movement moving.

Reply by Alan Murray on 11/25/13 1:05pm
Msg #494008

One thing the NNA should be fighting for is to make sure we get paid on a timely manner, not Net 60, but when the job get funded. Also, it should be a requirement that a notary get paid off the HUD not from these Signing companies.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/25/13 1:21pm
Msg #494012

I do hope they listen to you & the many notaries that have

been contacting them recently.
If I've "anti-XYZ", it's because I found out a long time ago that they didn't care one bit what I thought. I realized they didn't have our best interests in mind.
We can still hope that change can be forced upon them if they hear from enough people.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 11/25/13 2:41pm
Msg #494021

Expectations

For my ad on signingagent.com is shows I have NO E&O coverage even though I do. Have you gone on and checked yours out? E&O coverage is shown/not shown on a thumbnail view of the profile which is what is seen first. It either shows you have it or it shows you don't. Since it shows I have NO E&O no one is probably going to click on my thumbnail and go into my whole profile with contact information, or yours. They will choose someone with E&O most likely.

Now, does anyone get a lot of business through signingagent.com? Maybe not. But, that is not the point. They are costing a portion of the membership potential income, penalizing a portion of their membership, for not purchasing their policies. Is this their motive? It gives off that impression. Especially since it was suggested to me I purchase at least the minimum of $25K from them so I could show I have E&O and then get the bulk of my coverage elsewhere. $ChaChing$

For a friend of mine it shows his E&O expired in 2011 and they will not change that information.
They tell him it cannot be changed. Why not!?
We are paying members therefore should not have our profile tampered with because we do not purchase our insurance through them.

I expect to follow this through until it is remedied. I expect this to be handled in such a way as to show I/we have coverage at first glance, as it does with those who have NNA coverage. Equal representation. An accurate portrayal of a notary’s complete profile is a must.

Reply by Buddy Young on 11/25/13 4:59pm
Msg #494032

Re: I'm not a member and never will be. n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 11/26/13 9:12am
Msg #494109

I never got any business from that site. I would be out of

business if I had relied on any business coming from there. I think you're learning what you can expect from that organization. They're not even concerned whether they're listing correct info about you. Doesn't that tell you something?

Reply by Don Courtney on 11/25/13 3:18pm
Msg #494025

NNA pricing for e&o

I am a NNA member but found e&o coverage elsewhere...for less than half the price.
My policy was issued through Travelors but sold by an independant agent.

As NR also sells e&o I will not post the agents name, but it really pays to shop around.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 11/25/13 4:01pm
Msg #494028

Right you are. n/m

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/25/13 5:42pm
Msg #494042

If lowest price were the issue here, you'd win!!

The point is if you don't buy your E& O from the NNA, your thumbnail description leaves the "E & O" box unchecked ( in other words, you don't have E & O or it is "unknown".)

As dues-paying members, it is unfair that the NNA would treat NSAs who DID NOT buy their E & O from them differently than those that did.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 11/25/13 9:22pm
Msg #494080

Lowest price as in the E&O Don is referring to? n/m

Reply by MW/VA on 11/26/13 9:14am
Msg #494110

Point is that you can shop for things like E&O & supplies.

I have my E&O insurance through NotaryRotary. Harry offers both Signing Agent E&O & standard Notary E&O. You can also purchase a combination of both if you choose.

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/26/13 1:12pm
Msg #494149

yes. Bellinda I understood your original post had to do with

NNA members who had bought their E & O from someone else other than NNA and signingagent.com showed a blank box leaving the impression that you or others had no e & o or it was unknown . And not about where can I get it the cheapest.

Back to your point. I agree its unfair and though I bought a 4 year policy last year thru the NNA, I plan to email my protest to the NNA as well.

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/25/13 8:34pm
Msg #494073

I was a member for the first year of my first commission.....didn't know any better. The NNA does have great receipt books. If NotRot could find that manufacturer, have their own logo on them and start selling them, I'd buy them from here in a heartbeat.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.