Notary Rotary
Got a request for updating the company's database
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by jba/fl on 11/13/13 12:41am
Msg #492476

(although they spelled it data base) requesting various documents: E&O ins. policy, W-9, and BGC. This was an email to 25 names, all "J's" showing email addresses. The requested blank documents attached were not blank and in fact had all the hard, real information of one of the addressees named.

In the past year or two, I don't remember, the exact same thing happened and I brought it here for discussion as I had the shock and awe experience and needed to share it. I have been searching for it, cannot come across it, so if you remember that discussion, and the person who responded here from the company in question, please notate it for us. I don't know if this is the same company, so am not saying the name right now. I am totally offended and am composing my response now - unfinished so if you want to help me get it right and not forget anything, feel free to comment. I am starting with "How are you protecting my information? I hope not like JOHN DOE whose info you have deemed necessary to share with 25 people in this email alone."

BTW - I will not be sending anything except a complaint - perhaps from an attorney. How dare they!

Reply by BobbiCT on 11/13/13 7:15am
Msg #492483

Exposing NPPI ...

In theory, it sounds like this is a "breach of NPPI data" that the company MUST report to its "consumer," its state Attorney General and probably the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I doubt the company will open itself up to grief, audits and other nasty stuff by reporting it.

On the other hand, you could provide the CFPB with the NPPI data that you received and the company that you received it from.

Just a personal thought, the "company" that sent it will obviously blackball you.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/13/13 7:19am
Msg #492484

Don't think the company can be blamed for this

it happened to me a couple months ago -

A mass e-mail is sent requesting updated information - and the recipients, instead of just hitting "reply" do a "reply all" and send their information to everyone -

Can't blame the company for people doing that - but maybe there should be a warning in all caps in the body of it saying "When replying, please be sure to just reply and not reply all".

I received about 12-14 sets of information from various notaries across the country who did this in response to an email request for information - even after I did a "reply all" and told them not to do it - just reply.

Sometimes you just can't fix it.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/13/13 7:39am
Msg #492488

Re: Don

The company sent an email with everyone's address showing, not as a BC. Then the notary may have hit "reply all" which sent their forms to me, with all their info.

The real problem starts with listing the notaries in the database instead of grouping them as a "list" that is anonymous to all that receive it. It is not my business who the other 24 people are - and do they want their addresses shared with those they don't know? I think not.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/13/13 8:37am
Msg #492495

I get those emails, too, showing the list of addressees. I

can't believe these cos. don't know to use bcc. I responded to one of them, and they just made excuses about showing all the name. They don't care. ;-(

Reply by jojo_MN on 11/13/13 8:56am
Msg #492501

Re: Got a request for updating the company

I felt very bad for a notary that sent me (along with everyone else on the list) copies of everything they asked including her drivers license. I replied to her only stating that she should only hit reply to sender and also, that she should black out any personal information on her drivers license including her number. She apologized profusely for sending it to me. I told her I wasn't upset about receiving her information, that I felt sorry for her that now so many people had her personal information.

Reply by Darlin_AL on 11/13/13 10:05am
Msg #492506

jojo, maybe not the worst crowd one could make that error

with, as we all deal w/this stuff daily as SA's & for GNW--IMHO

Reply by jojo_MN on 11/13/13 12:15pm
Msg #492529

Re: jojo, maybe not the worst crowd one could make that error

How true. Luckily everyone that received it were also notaries.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.