Notary Rotary
IRS Form: SS-8 Determination of Worker Status for purposes o
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2013 Index

Posted by MAC/WA on 11/5/13 12:42am
Msg #491302

of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Withholding. I found this on one of our state agency websites. It asks IRS to determine if work performed is as an employee or independent contractor.

The form makes my head spin, so I hope to talk to my accountant this week to show him the documents we are required to comply with to see if he believes a employee relationship will occur on January 1, 2014 when these requirements go into effect. My acct. prepares my taxes, seems he must make that determination in preparing my tax returns. He is well versed in tax law, has contacts and since I pay him....serves my interest. I'll let you know what I find out. You all out there should show these documents to your accountants as well. If my accountant agrees that these documents makes me an "employee" and no longer an independent contractor, I'll ask him to help me fill out the IRS SS-8 for to make the determination. YOU SHOULD TOO.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/5/13 1:33am
Msg #491305

How many different companies do you contract with? If we become "employees", how many different jobs will it be possible to hold at any given time? Has anyone recently (or maybe I should say less recently given the way the market has been... Wink) counted how many different companies they've worked for in a typical month? Even as bad as last month was, I counted more than a dozen unique companies I worked for (excluding GNW).

I don't see how it would be possible to conclude that I'm an employee, and I suspect that would be true for most of us.

Reply by MAC/WA on 11/5/13 12:16pm
Msg #491390

Its not about how much you get paid, nor the number of

companies you have done work with. The focus of the IRS determination is decide if we are being treated as employees or independent contractors, they look at how the work is performed and if the employer has control over how you do your work. If treated as employees, then the employer must pay taxes and provide worker's comp.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.